98 XP Limited solenoid click but no start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

billy123

I just inherited a 1998 xp limited and threw a new battery in it. The key has a faint beep (1/50 I get the loud standard double beep and then a solid alarm sound maybe 30 seconds later). When I click the start button, I get a repeating solenoid click. I have tried the sketchy way of putting a screwdriver across both terminals and I am only getting sparks and no engine crank. I also removed the cover under the seat shock and tried to put vice grips on the drive shaft, but it only spun maybe ten degrees in either direction. Is this an engine seised issue or could it be the starter? I checked all the fuses I could find, cleaned all the terminals and the battery is showing 12.25v. Removed the spark plugs to try to hand crank and same result. The picture attached is where I am trying to hand crank the drive shaft.

IMG_2880.jpg

Figure out if the Pump or the Engine is seized first.

Can't spin the Pump if the Engine is seized. And can't spin the Engine if the Pump is seized.

What to do?

Pull the Pump and see if it spins. Then see if the Engine turns by hand.

Fix as needed...

Figure out if the Pump or the Engine is seized first.

Can't spin the Pump if the Engine is seized. And can't spin the Engine if the Pump is seized.

What to do?

Pull the Pump and see if it spins. Then see if the Engine turns by hand.

Fix as needed...
Might be a dumb question but what pump are your referring to?
I dumped some PB blaster in the spark plug holes few hours ago thinking the engine might be seized up. Is there anything else I can do to loosen it up? Also it should be able to hand crank from the location in the picture above right?
Thanks!

Yes, should be able to hand crank from that location with the spark plugs out. Pulling the jet pump and driveshaft out the back and trying again will confirm where the seizure is.

Something is locked up and you can’t just break it free and think everything is fine. Typically you will do even more damage forcing it.

Pull the jet pump as suggested. You might get lucky and it’s seized or then you will know the engine is seized.

Do not force it over or damage the drive coupler.

If it is the engine that is seized, and I do get it broken free, what kind of process is it to not cause more damage? Basically a rebuild of the engine at that point? It has been unused for for 2-3 years probably at this point

If it is the engine that is seized, and I do get it broken free, what kind of process is it to not cause more damage? Basically a rebuild of the engine at that point? It has been unused for for 2-3 years probably at this point

Yes, if the engine is seized your only option is a tear down to see what failed and go from there.

Ok, I've had PB blaster in the spark plug holes for a couple of days now. I removed the pump and the prop spins freely no problem. I also found a wooden dowel that fits perfectly in the spark plug hole and marked a line on where it sits. When hitting it with a hammer gently it goes down on each side .25-.5 inches with 20ish taps. It is at a weird angle so I can't really get good wacks on it/probably shouldn't hit it too hard.
I am still just getting the single click or metronome clicks from the solenoid and nothing else. The screwdriver in between the terminals is just sparking still with no crank. Vice grips around the drive shaft still only give me 1/8th of a rotation at best but it's a bit hard to grip it there.

Could it be the starter? Is the engine just gummy and not wanting to move fully?

I'm thinking next would be to take the head plate off where the spark plugs go and take a look inside, but that seems like it could be quite the project.

Dude, the Engine is locked-up!

You keep banging on it and you might crack the Crankcase.

PB Blaster ain't going to make that Engine run.

Full Engine Rebuild required.

Bust open that Wallet.

Not so concerned about time or money to fix it, just want to learn as much as possible with this one. Thanks for the input. I guess I’ll take the head off and take a look at the pistons inside

Dude, the Engine is locked-up!

You keep banging on it and you might crack the Crankcase.

PB Blaster ain't going to make that Engine run.

Full Engine Rebuild required.

Bust open that Wallet.
+ 1
Hopefully you can save the cylinders if the rust isn’t bad. Probably won’t be able to if you force the seized/grooved rings up and down.

Not so concerned about time or money to fix it, just want to learn as much as possible with this one. Thanks for the input. I guess I’ll take the head off and take a look at the pistons inside
If you want to learn then take our advice instead of continuing to destroy it with a hammer.

Understood, love taps with the hammer are not advised. Thank you all for the help. Time to start taking it apart.

I just inherited a 1998 xp limited and threw a new battery in it. The key has a faint beep (1/50 I get the loud standard double beep and then a solid alarm sound maybe 30 seconds later). When I click the start button, I get a repeating solenoid click. I have tried the sketchy way of putting a screwdriver across both terminals and I am only getting sparks and no engine crank. I also removed the cover under the seat shock and tried to put vice grips on the drive shaft, but it only spun maybe ten degrees in either direction. Is this an engine seised issue or could it be the starter? I checked all the fuses I could find, cleaned all the terminals and the battery is showing 12.25v. Removed the spark plugs to try to hand crank and same result. The picture attached is where I am trying to hand crank the drive shaft.

View attachment 59529
Try cleaning cleaning all corrosion off the starter and replace corroded washers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back