98 XP Limited Bogging

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mathncars

So I took the ski out the other day, everything was running fine for about 40 mins. on the lake. It then started bogging at half throttle and wouldn't go over 20mph. RPMs also skyrocket to 6-7k. It was pretty choppy out there and took a beating. Initially, I thought it was something with my fuel lines. I had them changed, oil filter and fuel filter replaced. Changed sparks and cleaned RAVE valves. I also ran seafoam through it. I've had no luck. Yesterday, I fired it up on the trailer with the garden hose connected. Water was spraying around in the front engine compartment. I noticed that 3 bolts were missing around the exhaust manifold. Could the bogging be possibly related to a cooling issue?

Thanks for the help in advance everyone.

Well, by your own admission, you have a leaky system if water can get out of places where it shouldn't. Are the exhaust bolts missing or snapped off? Is this a new to you ski?

I'd fix the leaks/bolts, etc....before doing anything else to see where that gets you first....JMHO!

Yes, exhaust doesn't have any oxygen so it chokes out the engine.

BTW: seafoam will not fix anything and has no place in the skis. It potentially could reduce the oil film and cause engine issues.

So I took the ski out the other day, everything was running fine for about 40 mins. on the lake. It then started bogging at half throttle [This always sends up a RED FLAG - > CARB issues potentially...only USE genuine OEM Mikuni carb kits] and wouldn't go over 20mph. RPMs also skyrocket to 6-7k (engine is running away? - air/fuel issues ?????). It was pretty choppy out there and took a beating. Initially, I thought it was something with my fuel lines. I had them changed (old grey TEMPO lines??? -> carb problems, plugged fuel filters)...did you have the fuel selector switch replaced as well? , oil filter and fuel filter replaced Fuel filter replaced? - Do you mean the fuel/water separator? The fuel filters are in the carbs internally. Changed sparks and cleaned RAVE valves. I also ran seafoam through it. I've had no luck. Yesterday, I fired it up on the trailer with the garden hose connected. Water was spraying around in the front engine compartment. I noticed that 3 bolts were missing around the exhaust manifold. Could the bogging be possibly related to a cooling issue? - Sure, but your ski is not a sealed combustion unit at this time...you need to get it back to a "sealed" state in order to move forward IMHO!

Thanks for the help in advance everyone.
Besides the obvious leaking conditions......

Also, running on a hose in the air (on a trailer) doesn't tell you much other than it hopefully starts.....the ski needs to be running in the water (could remain on the trailer though) to give you a more accurate troubleshooting picture....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back