98 XP 947 getting water in cylinders while not running.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobHack

Hey everyone,
this is my first post on this forum, I have been looking for answers for a week and still havent found anything to solve my problem, maybe someone hear can help.
I have a 98 Seadoo XP LTD with the 947 model engine. I just bought it from my Bro a few weeks ago, he was the second owner so I dont have a lot of history on this thing.
I thought it ran ok at the time but never rode a jet ski, top speed of about 52 but pretty doggy out of the hole.
But heres my real problem, after I let it sit in the water tied up behind the pontoon the cylinders fill with water. I pulled the plugs and got the water out. it will start and run good again but everytime it sits the motor fills up. there is also water getting in the Hull. it started doing this about 2 weeks after I got it. never did this before.
I pulled the RAVE exhaust valves and one was completly disassembeld with peices just sitting in the housing so the valve wasnt opening at all, and the other had a broken valve, both corners of the aluminum valve had broke off.
I pulled the head because I thought the head gasket might be the reason why the engine is filling with water. I didnt see any obvious signs of a bad gasket. I checked the cylinders and pistons and couldnt find the pieces to the RAVE valve, my guess would be the previous owner smoked a piston when the valve broke. replaced the piston and sold it to my bro.
Does anyone have an idea on where the water can be coming from?
is it possible that water could get in through the exhuast past the RAVE valves and fill the motor? could I have a bad exhaust gasket somewhere?
if the head gasket was the problem wouldnt the motor get water in the fuel with every intake stroke causing it to barely run?
I have the head and new gasket installed and the Rave valves cleaned and rebuilt, I torqued the head to 110 ftlb is that enough? I couldnt find anything on the head torque besides the tightenting sequence. I dont have a manual for the seadoo.

the torque specs are in the manual somewhere in the vicinity of the tightening sequence. someone more familiar with 951s will probably chime in soon, but i think they have a history of the exhaust manifold leaking at the joint just above the carbs, which can cause them to injest a lot of water. i'm not sure why the motor would fill with water unless you were towing it behind the pontoon or water was collecting in the pipe, and drained into an open exhaust port when the engine shut off.

ok so maybe with the broken rave valve it was allowing the water to get in the cylinder?
if the exhaust pipe is leaking would I be able to see water coming out of the joint when the motors running?

the broken rave valve is another issue alltogether, they don't have anything to do with water in the exhaust. when they break, usually they mess stuff up, unless when they broke there was enough exhaust flow to blow the pieces out instead of letting them fall into the cylinder. have you done a compression check since you put the head back on? i assume you didn't see any cylinder wall damage on the exhaust port side? may have gotten lucky

if the connection is leaky enough it could be dumping water into the manifold where it could drain down towards the cylinder instead of downstream to the water box.

took the jet ski out on the water this past weekend. ran great, 65mph. no water in the cylinders after the engine was off.
I think it was the head gasket after all. thats the only thing i replaced other than the RAVE valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back