98 GTX LTD info guage repair need screws

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim

I am doing the polarized lens repair and the screws that hold the LCD screen to the other circuit board are really rusty, as well as the screws that hold the face cover to the LCD. Anyone know what size they are?. Plan on replacing them all. Also does this LCD look ok, seems like it is blown ( the polarization film is off already). I am going to hook it up soon to see.

Attachments

• Seadoo Info guage LCD.jpg
    Seadoo Info guage LCD.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 11
Mine was like that and worthless. Water gets inside and shorts out the board. If the screws are rusty then I'm guessing it was wet in there. I doubt the lcd screen repair will work. I had to buy a used one on eBay. Not cheap.

Mine was like that and worthless. Water gets inside and shorts out the board. If the screws are rusty then I'm guessing it was wet in there. I doubt the lcd screen repair will work. I had to buy a used one on eBay. Not cheap.
I know the screen works (kind of). When it was plugged in before the repair I could see stuff on the screen but the film was so bad I couldn't make it out. But it could be both are bad....not sure really. I was thinking the same thing with the screws being rusted.
I'll hook it up today and see if there is any issues with it. now that the damaged film is off it.

Thanks

I hooked up the guage and I can read it with the new film held up to it. So miraculously the LCD is good.

The difficult part for me in South Louisiana is keeping the moisture out. I seal the hell out of it but the moist air is already in the instrument. :) I have thought about working on it inside in the A/C. I think if one has real problems I'm gonna pull a vacuum on i t and seal it.

I do have an INFO gauge for a 1998 GTX. I fixed the dang thing and my hot wire touched the pin. Bam!! that's all she wrote. The guage lights up but but won't switch modes. I'm thinking a diode so I keep it thinking that one day I might mess with it. I was so proud of myself. LOL One brief shining moment. :D :D

The difficult part for me in South Louisiana is keeping the moisture out. I seal the hell out of it but the moist air is already in the instrument. :) I have thought about working on it inside in the A/C. I think if one has real problems I'm gonna pull a vacuum on i t and seal it.

I do have an INFO gauge for a 1998 GTX. I fixed the dang thing and my hot wire touched the pin. Bam!! that's all she wrote. The guage lights up but but won't switch modes. I'm thinking a diode so I keep it thinking that one day I might mess with it. I was so proud of myself. LOL One brief shining moment. :D :D
I used a different method to disassemble the gauge, I found it on YouTube. All I really had to do was seal the outer ring once it was back on. I hope that keeps the water/moisture out.

Note: I trying to see if I can update the tech article on it so others can see a easier method. IMO

I have an info center gauge question for the group.

Just purchased a 96 GTX and the screen was damaged. First tried the film replacement, but when I disassembled it the screen was too far gone. I then carefully removed the old screen completely and re soldered in a replacement. It works in so far that it comes up with all eights(8888) a full fuel tank and whatever else could be lit. So the screen is working.

I researched the control chip for the lcd and it has many functions it controls while in operation. One section mentions a reset option. I am thinking that being a completely new screen I may have to try that. Problem is that I am completely out of my depth on this one

I don't want to damage it in the process of trying to fix it.

Any insight or advise would be helpful.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration regarding my qu
I used a different method to disassemble the gauge, I found it on YouTube. All I really had to do was seal the outer ring once it was back on. I hope that keeps the water/moisture out.

Note: I trying to see if I can update the tech article on it so others can see a easier method. IMO

estions.

I had that happen with an info gauge I was working on. The gauge was functioning properly but 2 wires made contact and all I got after that was a gauge reading of all eights. (8888888) I think someone that was good at working on those small circuit board could probably replace a diode or something. At the time I knew which wires made the contact. In my opinion you're gauge has a serious problem Good Luck with it.

I researched the control chip for the lcd and it has many functions it controls while in operation. One section mentions a reset option. I am thinking that being a completely new screen I may have to try that. Problem is that I am completely out of my depth on this one
Can you post a link to the information on that control chip? It might help answer your question especially if it is a spec sheet for the chip. Also when you say that all the segments turned on, did they shut off after a short time with no other display activity or just stay locked in the on state?

I thank both etemplet and artr for your advise and prompt response.
The attachments are 1. A description of the chip and its uses. 2. A lab which describes how it handles signals and a command page.
I plug in the key, get the beep,beep, then the screen stays on maybe 10-15 seconds then shuts down completely.
Thank you both again for your help

Attachments

• DSA2IH00185512.pdf
    197.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 70568.pdf
    270.5 KB · Views: 2
Those specs for the display controller indicate that it as being controlled by a microprocessor that is also located within the info gauge electronics. I saw that there is a command that the processor can send to the display chip to turn on or off all display segments. It is my guess that both the processor and display chip are being reset when power is applied to the info gauge to turn all the segments on and then off, but then something is interfering with proper operation after that. It is only a guess and would take specialized equipment and skills to verify that. I can not verify the timing you stated for the display turning on/off since my ski is not local to me.

Since you had removed and re-soldered the display I would carefully inspect the connections to check for solder bridges between them or solder splashes on adjacent board traces. Also I would inspect the display controller pin connections (there are 100 pins) and the pins on the processor chip (probably a Motorola on Intel device) for debris or corrosion that could be present. Wipe them down with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol (even if they look clean) and let dry before powering on again. You can also check that all solder joints on the board in general look shiny. If they are dull or you see a crack they could be intermittent and be corrected by carefully re-soldering them. If that doesn't help then it could be a more serious problem like etemplet said. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back