97xp leaks and bogs!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

benlarsen

I just bought a 97xp with 15 hours on it and the guy said it ran perfect when I bought it. I took it out for the first time and let it warm up for a couple minutes and tried to go but it kept bogging. I could slowly accelerate if I was careful and then it would start going. After a few minutes I took it to shore and it started taking in water. I looked back by the battery and it was almost up to the battery! I've looked everywhere on the hull and it's in almost perfect condition. Maybe a lose hose or bad sealant?

I called the marine service guy I bought it from and he said he drove it 7 miles on water before he sold it to me and it rode perfectly without bogging or leaking.

He said it could be a burnt exhaust hose that over heated when I dry started the ski. However, I only dry started it a few times in my driveway and the ski was never on for more than 5-10 seconds.

Any help?!

The water coming in could be a loose hose somewhere... but on that kind of ski... water is known to come the rear, bottom hatch.

As far as the bad running... I would clean the carbs. I'm sure they are just plugged up from sitting around too much.

Did you check to make sure the drain plugs were in? Pull spark plugs and swap them out NGK BR8ES .021-.024 gap. 4 bucks for both at Autozone.

The drain plugs were in tight and They still have their O rings on them.

I'm just confused on how a hose would get lose from the time he rode it to when I rode it which was about 2 weeks

Were you there when HE rode it last????

People LIE about this stuff all the time. AND... the general recommendations on this board would be to have taken it out for a test ride, BEFORE you bought it. (unless it's a project ski) For all we know... if it really only has 15 hr's on the clock... then the last time it was actually ridden was 10 years ago.

But... let's assume he was telling the truth. The ski is 18 years old... and rubber starts to get hard. SO... the engine could have expanded (as it gets hot), and once cool... the hoses on the fittings didn't quite return, since they aren't as springy as they once were. SO... YES... they can get loose and leak.

It's really not hard to understand... and the reasons why don't need investigated. It leaks... put it in the water with all the hatches open... run the engine... find the leak... FIX IT !!!!!

But, like I said... they leak around the rear hatch too. ( a known issue)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back it into the lake on the trailer and let it run, this is the safest way to find the leak without ruining the carbon seal.

Back it into the lake on the trailer and let it run, this is the safest way to find the leak without ruining the carbon seal.

Yep... now you got it.

Also... the water pressure from your pump is WAY more than the garden hose. So... it's the only way to find the leaks sometimes.

But... don't ride it until you get the carbs rebuilt. A lean run will kill a 2 stroke.

I just bought a 97xp with 15 hours on it and the guy said it ran perfect when I bought it. I took it out for the first time and let it warm up for a couple minutes and tried to go but it kept bogging. I could slowly accelerate if I was careful and then it would start going. After a few minutes I took it to shore and it started taking in water. I looked back by the battery and it was almost up to the battery! I've looked everywhere on the hull and it's in almost perfect condition. Maybe a lose hose or bad sealant?

I called the marine service guy I bought it from and he said he drove it 7 miles on water before he sold it to me and it rode perfectly without bogging or leaking.

He said it could be a burnt exhaust hose that over heated when I dry started the ski. However, I only dry started it a few times in my driveway and the ski was never on for more than 5-10 seconds.

Any help?!

If it's on a trailer or stand, an easy test would be to put the drain plugs in and run a hose to put water in the hull and see if it leaks out anywhere. Tilt the trailer back some so you don't have to put too much water in. His 7 mile ride might have been up on plane whereas your bogging ride might have lower in the water allowing any leaks along the join line to let water in. Take the hose and aim it at the rub rail from underneath from the outside.

Also check the welded plugs on the bottom of the headpipe where it connects to the exhaust manifold. Every one I have seen recently has been corroded through leaking water.

What color are your fuel hoses?

Whatever you do don't keep riding it with it bogging as it will not get better and you will kill the engine.

My fuel lines are gray. I know I need to replace those with the black fuel lines.

I will put the ski in the water and try to find where the leak is coming from tomorrow.

I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks!

Swap out the fuel lines and rebuild carbs ASAP. Clean or better yet replace fuel selector and water separator filter.

So I found out that the leak was from a disconnected hose that the guy hadn't connected after tuning it up. It looked like the coolant hose but I'm not exactly sure.

Would this disconnected hose and water cause the bogging?

Also, any other things I should change besides the fuel lines, filter, and separator? Maybe the spark plugs?

The hose will be the leak... but not the bog.

rebuild the carbs, and replace the fuel lines, before you roast the engine.

If your coolant hose was loose engine could have over heated and started to seize. Let cool and check compression. Also lean run from dirty/clogged carbs could cause the bog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back