97 XP - Engine question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwb3881

I have a 97 XP, during the last ride I had it out my brother spilled it coming into the docks but flipped it upright the wrong way. I didn't know this til I took it to get winterized because I couldn't get it started... 3 months later. They told me the water in the engine more than likely has ruined the motor. Is there any kind of fix to do that may clean the "rust" out besides putting in a new motor? It's the 787.

I am in the process of replacing a motor because of a similar situation. Not much you can do at this point. Same ski. 97 xp.

Not very encouraging words... I was hoping to avoid the $2000 bill to fix it. The place working on it quoted me between $1600-$2000 depending on labor. The ski only values at $2200. That's why I'm struggling... Something else they suggested was to "pickle" the motor but there was no guarentee how long it would hold the motor over before it would need replaced.

Sorry... no good news here. When steel rusts... that's metal combining with O2. SO... that will leave voids and pits. Even if you clean out the rust... that engine would quickly eat itself because of rough bearings, and Cyl walls that aren't smooth. (if it runs at all)

The engine needs replaced.

How handy are you with wrenches? You can buy a rebuilt engine for under $1,000 and get back in business that way. It really isn't that difficult to change the "parts". I agree with the others, if it has sat with the water in the engine, it is toast.

How handy are you with wrenches? You can buy a rebuilt engine for under $1,000 and get back in business that way. It really isn't that difficult to change the "parts". I agree with the others, if it has sat with the water in the engine, it is toast.

Agreed! Just rebuild it yourself. Get a half a mil over and have your local machine shop bore and hone the cylinders for you. You will want them to measure the cylinders first to determine what piston size you should get. It really isn't that bad. Take it apart, label all of your hardware so you know where it goes(I use muffin trays) and put it back together after an extensive bath.

Agreed! Just rebuild it yourself. Get a half a mil over and have your local machine shop bore and hone the cylinders for you. You will want them to measure the cylinders first to determine what piston size you should get. It really isn't that bad. Take it apart, label all of your hardware so you know where it goes(I use muffin trays) and put it back together after an extensive bath.

I am thinking that the crank will be shot too. When you take into account pistons, boring, crank, time involved, etc., I would think that a complete motor swap would be best. I have done that twice and have no regrets. Both were with 717 engines though.

I struggled with the decision to rebuild on the same model last year. Spend the money. You won't regret it and you will still have one of the funnest models Sea-doo every produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back