97 Speedster clicks but doesn't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MLars

Hey guys, that time of year to get the boats going for summer. Unfortunately I'm running into some problems with my 97 speedster. With the battery connected all accessories and gauges work, except when I try to start it I get nothing. No beeps, but when I push the start button I get a faint click from the grey e-box.

Some things I've tried or ruled out:
1) All fuses are good
2) Beeper works (I can get MPEM into diagnostics mode)
3) Gauges and accessories work
4) Battery is good, purchased last year and charged prior to install
5) Pos and neg are on correct terminals

I'm thinking it's either the solenoid or dess post. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

It's pretty easy to test the solenoid, just jump across the two main terminals, if the motor turns over it's most likely the solenoid. That being said it sounds like a weak battery, have the battery load tested.

Lou

You can also use a test light or meter on the solenoid wires. Small gauge need power on one and ground on the other to close the contacts and send power to starter. Download the manual and you can see which is which. You can test the one sending power from the start button and then you would know that part of the circuit is good.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll check the battery tomorrow. I was thinking that it probably isn't the solenoid because neither engine turns over, and I think it's the dess post because I'm not getting any beeps. Either way I'll check it out tomorrow.

Went through the DESS post testing procedures in the shop manual today. It failed the resistance test with the key on it (was at 200 ohms when it should have been less than 1). I'll order one on ebay and see how it works.

Did you jump the solenoid?

No I wasn't too keen on having sparks in the bilge (especially right above the gas tank). I ruled out the solenoid. After watching some videos of people with solenoid issues, the click is too quiet for that to be the cause. Plus my boat has 2, and what are the odds that both went bad.

Gonna update this thread in case anyone else is experiencing these symptoms. I took the DESS post out of my GTX to test. Put it in my speedster and everything works! So it is the DESS post, and I ordered a NOS one off ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back