97 speedster Bilge drains

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got a leak somewhere. Just bought a 1997 seadoo speedster twin 85. My bulge pump is dead I think so I’m gonna replace. But I am confused on the drain holes.

Back of the boat there are 2 holes. The left hole has threads on the inside of the hole. I have nothing screwed into that. And then the other hole there are no threads.

Can someone tell me which one is the actual drain hole for when the bilge pump comes on. And what the other hole is for ?

I am trying to track down the source of the leak. I found out my bilge pump is dying / died today. Legit had water almost fillly over the exhausts. Turned bilge pump on until it drained. Then when to turn it back on and didn’t come back on. But it might be from not high enough water. S I drained it took it back out. And the had maybe another gallon after 20 min of riding. But bilge won’t come on from switch.

If someone can let me know about those two holes on back.

And maybe what they thin leak could be lol.

Post a pic so we can be sure.... BUT..........

The threaded hole (on the edge of the jet pump) is actually a water outlet for the cooling system. DO NOT plug it off.

The bilge pump is normally just hooked to an opening big enough to stick your finger into. AND... on those boats, is was just at, or below the water line. The hose between the bilge pump, and the hull fitting needs to be held up higher than the water level. From the factory, there was a mount, and you zip-tied it to it. Over the years, those mounts broke loose or the tie gets cut. If the hose is low... the water will just flow in. (check that)

With that said... the carbon seals on these boats leak by design. It's how they cool themselves. because of that, the Rotax Seadoo boats ARE NOT rated to be left in the water. SO... you could be taking water in from those seals too.

Hop that helps.

Yup I’ll post a pic in 30. Thanks for all that

So are the carbon seals something that sometimes has to be replaced. I know I had too much water because when I’d take a sharp turn the water in back would flood over and exhaust and that engine would drop to half power. Drained it. Ideled it for carbs in case any water. Went back out. Ran like a champ.

But after about 20 min cruising. Half planed out. Half at idle. I prob had about. A gallon or more that drained out of the drain plug. (My bilge pump is dead or clogged and doesn’t work )

I do feel like this is an excessive amount of water.

One thing I noticed is my scupper valve wasn’t just broken or clogged. But completely missing. Just leaving a hole. Idk if that hose that goes from floor drain to scupper somehow could leak or maybe cracked and when at idle would just pour into engine bay.

Or maybe it’s a cracked cooling line or exhaust mani.

Putting my scupper on tonight. And I’ll send a pic of the back.

Here is the pic. So the 2 higher holes. The threaded one on left. I got one of those above he other jet as well. I think the right hole is the bilge

Attachments

• E2B5100A-566A-4909-A4E3-EF1179D6C9C7.jpeg
    E2B5100A-566A-4909-A4E3-EF1179D6C9C7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
Something else I noticed. I totally drained it yesterday. And I had it on hoist. But it was wavy today. Looked it engine bay. Had prob 2-3 gallons in there.

It rained like a beotch today. Like down poured for a good 30 min. So thag coulda been part of it. But I don’t really think so.

Attachments

• A4DBF7FC-D670-4EE0-914F-8A7E032184D2.jpeg
    A4DBF7FC-D670-4EE0-914F-8A7E032184D2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
The threaded on is a water outlet for the engine. (the one with the rubber gasket in it) The one next to it... with the slot... that's the bilge hole. The big one with the screws is the scupper valve. Drains the deck.

The carbon seals... when warn... with produce CRAZY cavitation. But, run the boat, and see how much water is coming in from them.

All boats will take in some water while running... but you need to have a way of getting it out. The bilge pump isn't just for an emergency.

So should I turn on and idle for 20 min see how much is in then. Drain. And then go top out speed for 10-20. And then drain again. See which is worse.

When I bought my boat the nut on the back of the flush connector was loose and I was getting a good amount of water in when we were sitting on the back of the boat and it pushed it under the water line

I’ll check that out. I think I found the source of my issue. This is the line that goes to the exhaust and then attaches kinda by the engine. I don’t know much. But I’m 99% positive this is the cooling line. Water was just spraying out. And came out faster the faster the went.

I also noticed the o rings around the bilge drains and flush holes are worn/ cracked in some spots. Shit one of the flush drains doesn’t even have one lol.

But the next problem I have is my bilge is totally dead. Anyone have any tips on getting it out? And or cleaning it. The auto function and manual both don’t work. So either bad pump or it’s clogged fully.

When I had a bunch of water in engine bay I turned it on for about 10 min. Working. Turned off. And ever since then it hasn’t come back on ever. Fuse is fine. Replaced fuse too

It probably has 2 push tabs to pop it out of it's base. I had to replace mine, but in the process I put the garden hose nozzle in the outlet and flushed a bunch of crap out of the line

If it was clogged. Or the line is clogged. And the water level Is high enough. If I flip the switch. I should still hear it hum or something right? Cause mine makes no noise at all.

What’s weird is the timing of the burn out. Ran for 10 min to drain. Turn off. Fill it back up. Flip switch. Never comes on again lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back