97 seadoo xp shuts off at 1/2 throttle?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmacheel

Ok....I have a 97 xp that between half throttle and 3/4 throttle shuts down. Just like someone pulled the lanyard. Sometimes it fires rite back up and sometimes it spits and sputters for a bit before it will crank. If i jump a wave it shuts down. If i get On it hard from dead stop it shuts down. Up too 1/2 throttle runs fine. I have replaced all the fuel lines. I have put rebuild kits in both carbs including new needles and seats. Cleaned fuel filter and cleaned the fuel selector. Performed the fuel pressure test which holds fine. I usually cant get it too shut down unless its in the water. Both cylinders show 155 psi. New plugs do not help. Cleaned up the grounds in the electrical box. Coil tests fine on the multimeter. I am scratching my head..............what am i missing???? Please help, ineed input? When i have pulled the plugs they seem a little wet?

Don't know if this will help or not, but it's free and from what you're saying could be the problem. Take off the spark plug caps, they unscrew. Cut off about 1/4" of the spark plug wire and screw the caps back on.

Lou

When you had the carbs apart... did you check the pop-off pressure? Did you verify that EVERY passage was open? Where they OEM Mikuni rebuild kits? (Aftermarket kits suck)

You are describing a fuel issue.

I do have a pop off gauge. And im embarreses to say i dont know how to really use it. I did clean the carbc thourghly and used 110 psi of compressed air to blow all the jets out after using carb cleaner. I just thought since i was rebuilding them completley they'd be fine!

Could be lanyard post, also check AMP connection on the mpem pins & holes for ant corrosion and size, if someone used a e-tester probe that may have enlarged the holes. any type of a break in an e connection shuts down the mpem. off/on the lanyard re-arms it. Like Tony said the carbs, a droplet in them will stop fuel flow. we reccommend marine stabil at every fill up.

I do have a pop off gauge. And im embarreses to say i dont know how to really use it. I did clean the carbc thourghly and used 110 psi of compressed air to blow all the jets out after using carb cleaner. I just thought since i was rebuilding them completley they'd be fine!

Watch the vids in sticky at forum top carb adjustments. It shows you put some wd-40 on the needle valve and put up the pressure into gas inlet, holding finger as a stopper on the outlet, when needle opens-releases that pressure is pop-off. watch your dial guage for when that occures and adjust it for, say your ski is 28-32, then set for 30. this regulates the amount of fuel in the basin so as to not be too much or not enough fuel for your atmoshere where you live.

i have tried messing with the lanyard post during riding and it changes nothing. also when it shuts down,it doesnt beep and you do not have to reset the lanyard, you just have to hit the stat button. I just took it out a few mins ago and it seems to get worse as the engine gets warmer, I feel like its flooding it in a way, the plugs always look wet. It was running very ruff this morning even at idle.

Ok drhonda i did the pop off test. My mag carb is popping at 30 psi and my pto carb is popping at 25 psi.

I did the pop off test. Mag crb popping at 30 psi and pto carb is popping at 25 psi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you have the correct plugs, NGK BR8ES. It makes a difference. Mine was doing the exact same thing because I had the wrong plugs. I put in the new plugs and it runs perfect now.

That's actually low for your engine... but that wouldn't cause it to shut down. (Spec is 28 - 48 psi)

Did you make sure everything was clear in the carbs?

After reading the first post... and knowing that the pop-off is actually low... I'm going to say it may be electrical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back