97 Seadoo Speedster Troubles

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgardner928

Oh do I need help... I don't know where to begin..

For one...Im a 1st time boat owner. I bought a 97 Seadoo Speedster.

1) So apparently the previous owner of my boat tried to use a jump pack to start the boat when the battery was dead. It's my understanding that, that fries the computer. But I read so many forms on here about people putting tenders or trickle chargers and on and so forth. How come you're not having the same problem this guy did. Or is there something else underlying that I'm missing.

2) I've tested the stators on both engines. They appear to test fine. But everytime I i connect the positive battery terminal, I blow the 5 amp fuse every time for the MPEM. I have not replaced anything in the boat yet I don't want to spend the money on a new computer if I don't need it. I'm trying to figure out why every time I try to start the boat I blow that fuse.

3) When testing both stators. I get the same results. The one set of wires (black) show the resistance level of 61.0. The other side (yellow) shows the resistance level as 0. Are my stators bad?

4) I heard I can do this to test my electrical system...anyone else confirm it?
"NOTE TO TEST YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM AND DETERMINE IF YOUR MPEM IS FAULTY, THE PROPER WAY IS TO UNPLUG THE BLACK/RED WIRE BETWEEN THE COIL AND MPEM. IF IT STARTS AND RUNS FINE, YOUR MPEM OR SWITCHES HAVE A PROBLEM. IF IT DOESN'T RUN, YOU HAVE A STATOR OR COIL ISSUE. NOTE IF TESTING THIS WAY YOU'LL NEED TO KILL THE ENGINE WITH THE CHOKE SINCE THE KILL SWITCHES WILL BE BYPASSED."
I dont know what wire they mean? Does anyone else know if this will work?

5) Battery...He replaced the battery with a standard car battery. I want to replace that with a sealed marine battery. One that bigger to run a radio and some led lights and cell phone chargers. But I don't want to go too big, as too big and the stators will not be able to "fully" charge it. And too small..well that's pointless. What was the OEM size battery in this boat and whats the biggest one I can put in and still get the stators to fully charge it?

Our attentions is to get this boat up and running and keep it for a long time.

Please help if anyone can...

Attachments

• 20180609_221524.jpg
    20180609_221524.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180526_222139.jpg
    20180526_222139.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20180526_221654.jpg
    20180526_221654.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20180521_182000.jpg
    20180521_182000.jpg
    815.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Have you tried hooking up the battery with the stators unplugged? I am probably wrong but I feel like I read some where some one did that for testing

I did not try that prior until now. I disconnected both stators. Then I put a new 5a fuse in. Connected the battery and it popped. So I tried to put a new fuse in. And as soon as the prongs of the fuse touched making a contact, it popped. The key wasn't even on the post.

Any other suggestions?

So heres what i just did. I disconnected the main harness the connects to the side of the grey box. I disconnected both rectifiers and coils. I only had the two red wires going to the positive terminal. And the black going to the ground. And bam..blew the 5amp fuse when I connected the battery. So I think if nothing is connected the the MPEM..just the positive and negative on the MPEM and the same 5amp fuse blows..it has to be the MPEM.

Now..whats this I see about cutting it open and soldering a new piece on. I want to try that first.

After further testing was done. I remove the battery that was in there and hook it up to a charger. They gave me all kinds of errors. Apparently somehow the battery polarity got reversed. Which is why every time I connected the battery I kept blowing the fuse. Swap the battery for a different one and I've had no issues with anything since. So the summary of this issues I was experience was all related to a swapped polarity on a battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back