97 GTX coming back to life

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

97explorer717

200$ ski getting a second life. Bill of sale through two previous owners went through. New stickers and registration in hand. Title is on the way.
Spent the last two days covered in Grease. That's something that drives me absolutely nuts. Both Explorer's the Challenger and now this ski have all been exactly like that when I purchased.
Found out why the original engine was locked up! You can see the pictures below. Use your imagination as to what the Piston looks like. Replacements engine sitting in garage. OEM stock with 52 original hours. 155 on each cylinder. Hoping that's got some life in it.
Surprisingly the inside of the carbs looked excellent. First time that's ever happened to me. Usually they are full of crud. Still going to go through them and clean up. Guessing I also need to get rid of gray fuel lines.
Pump seems to be fine as well. That's also a first. Every other one I've had to fully rebuild. This one's just getting the oil changed for now. Will pull it apart this winter just to check, and put a OEM wear ring in. Guy told me it never run right after they suck the tow rope up in it. Guess not as the drive shaft was visibly bent. New to me used freshwater one on the way.
Have to get a key programmed. Have a good factory key. If anybody can do that let me know. I have the MPEM pulled. If not found somebody I can send it to. I don't have a dealer near me! Also need two stock size, OEM Rave valves. Just need the valves as I have everything else.
Hope this thing's worth it. There's no turning back now. Looking like I'll be in it total around $1500 as of now.

Attachments

• IMAG2634.jpg
    IMAG2634.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 83
  • IMAG2631.jpg
    IMAG2631.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 86
  • IMAG2633.jpg
    IMAG2633.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 81
  • IMAG2632.jpg
    IMAG2632.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
This is why my Challenger engine is sitting at Fullbore! This is the engine that was in the ski. Anybody need a SBT engine for parts? I already have another one sitting in the floor.

Attachments

• IMAG2638.jpg
    IMAG2638.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMAG2635.jpg
    IMAG2635.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 50
  • IMAG2636.jpg
    IMAG2636.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMAG2637.jpg
    IMAG2637.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 45
That's what I got mine at, $200, I budgeted $1500 total in it at first, but quickly went over budget once I got into gelcoating and cosmetics.

Love my 97' GTX, Dan is the man at Fullbore to get it right, mine was a low hr rebuild where someone didn't trim the raves so it put a hole in one of the pistons and locked it up. Then they towed it and the engine filled with water, then parked it in a barn where I bought it a year later. Complete disaster when I got it.

Good luck with it, for me it took me nearly a year to complete...

Attachments

• P1010188.JPG
    P1010188.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 32
  • P5060209.JPG
    P5060209.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 35
  • P6160233.JPG
    P6160233.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 35
Yeah that's a really nice looking ski! I'm not going that far with mine cosmetically. Seat cover, new treads and Polished for now.

MPEM is at Westside. That's one coincidence because that's where I was going to send it.
I got a question for you guys. Hope I haven't messed up too bad. Unbolted the magnet from the flywheel. Hindsight I guess that wasn't necessary. I did Mark it though. Is that going to be an issue with the timing? Side note it only had three bolts in it! Also can I remove the stator and sensor assembly from the ignition housing? I will mark it as well but if it's going to cause problems I'll work around it. Really want to remove that to clean up and paint. It's covered in Grease and two different color coats of paint.

Attachments

• IMAG2654.jpg
    IMAG2654.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMAG2652.jpg
    IMAG2652.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
I'm getting some mileage out of these pictures. LOL I use Glyptal. It's expensive but worth it. :) Just follow the directions on the reinstall of the magnet/rotor and clean those magnets. Also clean the pick up while you're in there. Good Luck !!

Attachments

• Flywheel painted.jpg
    Flywheel painted.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 24
  • Flywheel painted2.jpg
    Flywheel painted2.jpg
    763.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Mag Cover Painted.jpg
    Mag Cover Painted.jpg
    865.5 KB · Views: 25
I'm getting some mileage out of these pictures. LOL I use Glyptal. It's expensive but worth it. :) Just follow the directions on the reinstall of the magnet/rotor and clean those magnets. Also clean the pick up while you're in there. Good Luck !!
I had to look that paint up. Yeah that's a little pricey. A company I've purchased from before Eastwood has it.

From what I'm gathering all the parts are fixed and not adjustable. Any adjustments would be done in the MPEM.

You shouldn't need to adjust anything, you just need to make sure that rotor is in the correct location for timing purposes.

Nick is sending my MPEM back already with key. One more thing off the list. I would now highly recommend Westside! Cheaper than what my nearest dealer wanted and I didn't have to tow it.

More grease cleaning and paint.

Attachments

• IMAG2656.jpg
    IMAG2656.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMAG2657.jpg
    IMAG2657.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMAG2665.jpg
    IMAG2665.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMAG2672.jpg
    IMAG2672.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMAG2673.jpg
    IMAG2673.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
Fuel system well on its way. Pretty sure I'm well over budget.

Attachments

• IMAG2679.jpg
    IMAG2679.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMAG2680.jpg
    IMAG2680.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
Fuel system well on its way. Pretty sure I'm well over budget.

Just remind yourself what a new one cost...I was not happy with myself going over $3K with the 96' GSX project I just completed. But...out on the lake yesterday I saw a brand new Seadoo Spark, which is a floating pile of plastic starting at $5400 without a trailer.

Last edited:
Just remind yourself what a new one cost...I was not happy with myself going over $3K with the 96' GSX project I just completed. But...out on the lake yesterday I saw a brand new Seadoo Spark, which is a floating pile of plastic starting at $5400 without a trailer.
Good point! I needed to hear that. Was starting to think I really shouldn't have put this money into the ski.

Here's the best pictures I could get of the cylinder walls. Kind of concerning me. Have a 30-day guarantee but I'm not even going to make that. Purchase price definitely not for a engine needing repaired or top end.

Attachments

• IMAG2685.jpg
    IMAG2685.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
  • IMAG2684.jpg
    IMAG2684.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 39
Sure looks like it has some scuffing going on.
There's no doubt about that! I'm running it. I'm going to run it a few times do a compression test. Guess worst-case it'll get torn down this winter. Maybe best-case if I do have to tear down I can just do the top end. Every engine I have sitting around here that I tear down is garbage. All the bottom ends are shot every time. Challenger engines out being built now. I can't do two in one season that's for sure.

Working on putting components on engine now. Already hit a snag. Loctite 684 to Magneto rotor and mating surfaces. Cannot find anywhere local. Can I substitute red 271? It's either that or more ordering and waiting. I don't need it to fly apart though!

I just started using loctite. I never put anything on a tapered fit as it prevents proper make up but... I"m not arguing with the manufacturer. Perhaps it makes it easier to disassemble.

If the product is green it's probably the old 292 or 609 Cylindrical parts retaining compound. I use that on wear rings.

Last edited:
I just started using loctite. I never put anything on a tapered fit as it prevents proper make up but... I"m not arguing with the manufacturer. Perhaps it makes it easier to disassemble.

If the product is green it's probably the old 292 or 609 Cylindrical parts retaining compound. I use that on wear rings.
Red it is

More parts still to come. Hopefully new manifold bolts and O-ring for rotary valve cover will be here tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMAG2687.jpg
    IMAG2687.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMAG2688.jpg
    IMAG2688.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back