97 GTX cavitation issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MLars

As some of you know, I took my new-to-me jet ski out for the first time last Saturday. It ran really good until (I think this is the problem) and exhaust hose popped and wouldn't let the ski run above 2500 rpm without bogging. Anyways, while it was running good I noticed some cavitation. With me (140lbs) and two kids (80 lbs each) the ski required a good bit of throttle to get it to pop out of the hole. I had to slowly rev it to 5200-5300 rpm to get it to plane out, and even then it was still a dog out of the hole. Once it was on plane though it would take of like a rocket. I'm almost certain it should pop out faster than this because last year my family rented a GTI w/ a 720 and we were able to get a 100lb kid up on skis with my dad and me (about 350lbs) on the ski with ease. I don't feel like the GTX would be able to do it in this condition. Just wondering is there a way I could tell if this was a wear ring, carbon seal, or another pump problem? I will try to get a picture of the carbon seal tomorrow before I bring the ski in to the dealer to have the exhaust issue sorted out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Not a great one:
244.jpg

Better one from the inside:
245.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a real good picture but from what I can tell the wear ring and impeller look good. So the next thing to check is the carbon seal.

You might want to check your water regulator valve, if it's leaking it might be causing the exhaust hose to melt, you may need to replace the bellows in the water control valve.

Lou

Thanks Lou, the previous owner told me not to mess with that one. But I guess I might have to. What should I do to it to make sure it's flowing properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back