97 GTX 787 - Engine replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jforest

Hey guys,

I'm considering purchasing an engine from SES to replace the one that came in the 97 GTX I picked up last weekend. The current engine is seized as the pistons look to be rusted to the jugs. I haven't pulled it yet to look in the crank case but the previous owner told me that the ski was not winterized one year and just put away.

Looking at the numbers, if I have to replace the crank plus do the work on the top end, it would make sense for me to just purchase an engine from SES. I can do the work myself but if it isn't that much more and comes with a warranty, I would just purchase one.

I guess I just wanted some other opinions on what you would do. Once I get the other 96 GTX in the garage, I will start taking pictures and make a RESTO thread for both skis!

Thanks!

Joe

I just had Tom at SES do a 787 and 951 and would recommend him. I think at this point in the off season you need to decide when you need the engine completed as well. It's probably 3+ months to get your engine back once you ship it but you would need to call and get a timing estimate.

I sent both mine in on Nov 28th and got the 787 back 2 weeks ago. Have yet to get my 951 back.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, they are as slow as hell but complaints have been rare when it comes to quality of the work.

if it was June i'd say go the SBT route so you could get back asap, but given the weather, no reason to be in a hurry.

But yes, generically speaking,
Bad crank, top end, gaskets, maybe a head, there isn't much of a savings (if any) unless you have a lot of good used spare parts laying around.

That's what I'm thinking. I figure if the parts are going to cost me that regardless, I might as well just get an engine with a warranty. I appreciate your input.

Yup if you don't need it back immediately I would definitely go with SES. Much nicer getting your engine back and not some salt turd someone else sent in to SBT.

Avoid SBT, i had to deal with them far too much the last few years before I turned my own wrenches. Last sbt motor lasted a whole 20 hours on the water. Also last time I ordered parts from them I had them overnighted and they sent me the wrong shit and wouldn't refund the shipping bill. Perhaps I am sour but I wont buy anything i dont have to from them.

Have you tried fullbore? Both of the engines in my speedster were done by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't tried them. This would be my first engine purchase. I have a 96 GTX that I built last year and just needed a top end. I'll definitely look them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back