97 gsx won’t start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pull up the rear E-box and pull the plug out of the bottom of the solenoid. Stick the probe end of a 12v test light in the side of the plug that is from the yellow wire with red stripe. With the key on and the 2 beeps you should see power there every time that you push the start/stop button.

Pull up the rear E-box and pull the plug out of the bottom of the solenoid. Stick the probe end of a 12v test light in the side of the plug that is from the yellow wire with red stripe. With the key on and the 2 beeps you should see power there every time that you push the start/stop button.

I got 12v now I’m getting 1 solid loud click

If the starter solenoid is clicking yet the starter motor doesn't crank, use a pair of pliers to jump the two large cable terminals and see if the starter motor comes alive and begins turning the engine. If yes, the starter solenoid is likely corroded internally.

If the starter solenoid is clicking yet the starter motor doesn't crank, use a pair of pliers to jump the two large cable terminals and see if the starter motor comes alive and begins turning the engine. If yes, the starter solenoid is likely corroded internally.

I tried that and it still doesn’t turn the starter motor over

Then you might have a bad starter motor. It's time to use your voltmeter and test the voltage going to the starter when the start button is pressed.

If you need a new starter, the original starters are of better quality than aftermarket starters and the original starter can be rebuilt using a starter rebuild kit for your particular model of engine. The kit should have new o-ring seals, a brush set with brush holder, and replacement shaft bushings.

Then you might have a bad starter motor. It's time to use your voltmeter and test the voltage going to the starter when the start button is pressed.

If you need a new starter, the original starters are of better quality than aftermarket starters and the original starter can be rebuilt using a starter rebuild kit for your particular model of engine. The kit should have new o-ring seals, a brush set with brush holder, and replacement shaft bushings.

10-4 I appreciate the assistance. I’m going to plug the battery in on trickle charge let it go overnight and I’ll do some tests tomorrow after work. I’ll keep you updated as I may run into other problems l. Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back