97 GSX to 96XP - Can it be done??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSchmidt54

Ok, so my buddy has a 97 GSX 787 carbureted, and i literally just rebuilt the entire driveline on the ski with a whole new Short block and new seals , lines, etc. And we get it out for the first time and the damn thing has a very badly patched crack on the left front side of the hull, and it leaks.....bad, luckily we trailered it before it sunk.

Now here is my query. I have an opportunity to pick up a 96 XP hull with gauges and tank for around 250 bucks. It is pristine. Can my buddy and i simply pull the motor, pump, mpem , ebox, and lines and such from the gsx and transplant them into the xp to avoid a major fiberglass repair? If so, will the XP's gauges work with the GSX mpem?

thanks in advance for all replies.

Well, I mean pretty much all of the stuff is the same, except for a little of the wiring. I would just transplant everything from the GSX into the 96 XP, does the 96 XP have the mpem with it? I would assume that you could probably mount the 97 mpem in there, but I think it is a different style. Not sure if you can wire the gauges up or if you would have to do some custom work on that but I think that the project could be done fairly easily...

Pretty sure 97 gsx is a 787 like the 96 XP and everything should be direct swap....

Thats what i was thinking..... im fairly good with wiring.... and i have all the manuals...... we want something that we can do in less than a week ( i did the motor in 3 days lol ) and fiberglass is not our forte.....

yeah, i know they are both 787s ... .mostly just the wiring , jet pump, and gauges concern me.... also... if the xp doesnt have a gas tank, can the gsx tank fit? i thought the xp's had smalller tanks.

You're gonna need a gas tank, from an X4 hull, better yet see if you can find one from a 96GTI, its a larger tank, and will fit with a little modification to the front storage bin.

Oh, and the MPEM's and gauges are different, so if you transfer the wiring you're gonna have a problem mounting the gauges from the 97GSX, I would try to keep the wiring and MPEM from the 96XP.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
You're gonna need a gas tank, from an X4 hull, better yet see if you can find one from a 96GTI, its a larger tank, and will fit with a little modification to the front storage bin.

Oh, and the MPEM's and gauges are different, so if you transfer the wiring you're gonna have a problem mounting the gauges from the 97GSX, I would try to keep the wiring and MPEM from the 96XP.

Lou

Alright.... so if the XP doesnt have the MPEM but has gauges..... what then? can i splice connect the gauges in the xp to the connections coming from the GSX mpem?

The 96XP does have and MPEM, but it's different than the 97GSX, for instance the 97GSX gauges plug in directly to the 97GSX MPEM with a large square multi connector. Also the gauges for the 97GSX are larger than the 96XP. So what I'm saying you would be better off using the MPEM and gauges from the 96XP and basically do a motor transplant.

Lou

You are going to need a different pump too. The gsx pump does not have the three nipples that pass through the hull. The impeller is on a different pitch as well. You will also need a different steering cable. The water box is also different and will not fit right, the hole to connect to the tuned pipe is in the middle on the gsx and is offset on the xp.

Does the 96 come with the complete steering too because that is all different as well. It would be better and cheaper to find a 96-97 gsx hull.

JSG. How much different is the pitch on the GSX impeller from the XP impeller. I am going to use a stock 96 GSX impeller on my 96 XP, what will the effects be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back