97 GSX Mpem failure?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSchmidt54

Hey guys , i guess its time to dust off them diagnosers and get ready for the 2013 riding season! Well to do just that, i am helping a buddy repair a derelict GSX that his grandpa gave him for "electrical issues" basically , with a fresh battery and clean battery connections, this thing wont chirp, turn over , beep, or anything with the proper DESS key on the post...... which leaves me to believe that the MPEM took a crap...... am i correct in guessing this or is there more diagnosis needed on my part?

This is the first ski i have messed with that has VTS so i am a little new here..... I heard there where some mechanical gremlins that could be caused by VTS.... is that something i should look into as well?

All help is appreciated guys.....

Thanks,
Drew

p.s. The ski is in pretty darn good physical condition , so Derelict may have been a strong word.... but you get the jist lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would start with the most obvious and easiest first.

Unplug the power to the VTS, look above the battery, there's a black connector with one red and one black wire, unplug this connector.

Check the fuses, especially the 5A fuse in the front E-box, that's the MPEM fuse, there's also fuses in the rear E-box.

Check connections and grounds, clean and apply dielectric grease.

Check this stuff first and post back your findings.

Good luck,

Lou

Check the connector on the top of the rear ebox, and inside that ebox for corrosion.

If all else fails, send it to me. I can make 100% sure its the MPEM. Saved a guy a month ago from replacing a MPEM that was fine.

I also have a 97 GSX mpem in stock.

So as it turns out , the mpem is fine..... here is what i found
20130407_205412.jpg

All sparkley...... then this ( the rear e box.....)
20130407_205945.jpg

and to top it all off , sized motor... .somebody sunk this baby and let it set....... my buddy is currently pricing out a full overhaul.... we are aiming at 1700 after SBT 1 year, new lines, rebuilt carbs, new mats... flushing the oil system ... .etc. YIKES

Check the MPEM for corrosion on the pins. make sure to dielectric grease them if everything looks good.

So the MPEM was the least of your problems...sucky. Hopefully you didnt get too ripped off.

Check the MPEM for corrosion on the pins. make sure to dielectric grease them if everything looks good.

So the MPEM was the least of your problems...sucky. Hopefully you didnt get too ripped off.

Nah , he hasnt paid a cent for it.... honestly he will probably pay less than 200 out of pocket...... his grandpa said to get a list of everything that it needs and he will buy it........ he also happens to be "well off" so basically we say we need an engine, it gets an engine lol...... and in the end , its gonna get signed over to him anyways... as a grad present lol.... .but your saying just to be safe... hit the MPEM with Dialetric grease? also the VTS is freaking immaculate! i should have taken a pic it is literally bone dry in there! Ill probably start a pics thread......... this ski is gonna be a single weekend project when we get the financial clearance lol, after doing my 787 twice ..... getting this baby out and in should be no problemo lol.

Man if he gets what he wants, it needs umi steering, new impeller, new jetteim seat, a complete rebuild, new mats, maybe gps?

What else guys lets get this guys shopping list going lol.

J/k

It's going to be lonely as well, might as well get a double trailer and a new RXP-x to keep it company.

Nah , hes got a Chevy 3500 for towing it and an old Daytona 1000.... but that 1000 is getting the boot and my gtx is going on the trailer ha....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back