97 GSX full overhaul - at a loss

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSchmidt54

Ok guys , i thought i knew my stuff when it came to 787 carb'd skis, but i guess not, recently ( and by recently i mean over the last month) i have rebuilt my buddy's 97 GSX 787. Im talkin the ski had a waterlocked trashed block, water filled rear ebox, and cracked hull. We got a new shell , transplanted all the electricals and tanks , and put in a new SBT 787 , with new lines and set for premix. I re-covered the seat, installed new traction mats , and grips. And had the carbs redone by a certified seadoo dealership.

After getting it all back together , we get it through the break in, and it runs great. EXCEPT , it will not hit over 6150 RPMS without jumping outta the water, and it has absolutly no balls in the low end. New raves, new rave springs, and the caps are screwed all the way in and still nothing, it has a hard time jumping outta the water, but once its on plane it will get up to like 6000 and run about 45 ish......

Now i have already checked to throttle cable, and the mix is set 40:1 with the gas, it doesnt backfire, and runs up to 7100 without a load. It has perfect compression , and I recently took the water reg apart to check for functionality. Now, i havent clamped the water reg host and tested it , but it just has no balls through the mid range,,....like you hit it and it jumps to 3500 and struggles from there........I dont believe its a timing issue....but i could be way off......could it be the voltage regulaor or rectifier? if so , how can i test it? Also, yes it has had new plugs, and loaded them up... but my GTX runs at the same ratio and loads up plugs until you get outta a no wake zone and then it clears them out.....so im thinking its not the mix......and what are your opinions......

All help is appreciated, i am struck out on this one.....

You can't say.... "I dont' think it's timing". When you don't know where the problem is... you have to check everything.

Generally, if it's the regulator... it will feel like it's hitting a rev-limiter. BUT... disconnect the red wire from the regulator, and go for a ride. Also... you can put a meter on the battery and see if the voltage goes high.

Personally... sounds like the RV timing is off. I would pull the carbs, and check the clearance on the RV. Then... pull the manifold, and double check the timing of the valve. When you flip the valve, it will move half a tooth. And, I've seen it more than one time, where people don't know that... and they just get it as close as they can, without trying it both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back