97 Challenger DESS issues??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokintalon

Recently acquired a 97 challenger. It’s been stored indoors most of its life. I did have to replace the carbs (they were seized to the point that screws were shearing off taking them apart) and drain the gas and oil because it had sat for 2 years. Took it out on the water and she ran great... for about 30 minutes. Out of nowhere it cut off. I checked the lanyard cap, took it off, put it back on several times. Nothing. Waited about 15 minutes and it worked again.

When the issue happens I can NOT get it to beep for advanced diag. Nothing. It doesn’t beep at all when the cap is put on and it doesn’t beep at all for advanced diag. When it does work it works great. Is this just a bad DESS Post and/or cap? I’ve tested the post. Don’t remember the readings off hand but I can check again later if needed.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Sorry this got missed... but you should have bumped the post long ago.

Unfortunately... this is strange one. I've never heard of an MPEM going intermittent, or turning off because of heat related issues. I have heard of DESS posts going bad, and causing all kinds of issues. Because of that... I wouldn't even test it. Just replace the DESS post, and clean the inside of your lanyard with water and baking soda... and a good rub. (it's lightly abrasive)

Next... has the beeper has been replaced? They can go intermittent, and lead to false readings. I've replaced them on every seadoo I've owned. Back in the day... RadioShack had a good one... but I guess they have all closed. (Need to source another)

After that, I would remove/open, clean, and replace all electrical plugs and wires. If the carbs were crusty enough to not come apart... then you could have some corrosion in the electrical system.

I’ll check over the connections when I get back in town later this week. I’ll check into the beeper replacement with the DESS post. I’m glad to hear it’s not likely to be a bad MPEM. The used ones I’ve found run $600-1000. I’ll post back results once I get the new post and beeper in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back