97 Challenger 1800 flooding with oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

citplus

I just bought a 97 Challenger and tried starting the starboard engine.First I fuly charged the battery, then checked for fuel and oil. THhey all checked out. Next I put on the lanyard heard two short beeps then pressed the start button. The engine turned over a couple times then locked up. I pulled the rear plug and found the cylinder filled with oil. I then pulled the head and cleaned out the oil. The front cylinder was fine. I closed it all up then tried starting again and the same thing happened.
Then I pulled off the oil injection line to that cylinder at the oil pump and tried a few more times to start but he cylinder filled up again. By the was no oil shot out of the pump with the line off, then I put the line back on and pinched off the larger oil line that enters the crankcase below the intake and tried starting a few more times and the cylinder filled up again.
Finally I pulled both plugs washed them off in a cup of gasoline, sucked out the oil out of the cylinder and tried starting again and she fired up but smoked like crazy.
Why is the rear cylinder filling up with oil?

It's common to have the oil in the RV cavity seep into the rear cylinder over a period of time, like during the winter. So the crankcase has a puddle in it and as you crank it the oil just floods the cylinder.

It's best in that situation to pull the plugs, put rags over the cylinders and crank it for about 15-20 seconds.

Overall it just means that your crankshaft seals are telling you it's getting near time for a rebuild.

That makes sense. Although I am mechanically strong in automotive engines I am not in Seadoo engines. Based on what I read in the workshop manual
it looks looks the engine has to be pulled to change those seals. Do you have any tips on how best to change those out?

First, get the oil out and get it started. Once thats done, let it sit a week and see if it fills up fast or not.

The seals are in the center of the crank. The whole crank will need to be pressed apart. I would advise a new crank at that point...

Welcome to the best Seadoo site out there!

If I can help with anything just let me know.

Minnetonka4m2,

Wow! pressed apart..Ok.
My Port engine is frozen. I took the head off sprayed PB Blaster into both cylinders. Three days later, the rear cylinder was dry but the front was still full of PB Blaster which seems to indicate that cylinder is the frozen one.

Are there any tricks I can use to break it free?

Forgive me for not knowing the acronyms but what is the PTO? I could guess that it is the shaft that exits the engine and connects to the prop; is that the PTO?
Thanks

Thanks El Toro 33809.

Tell me what you think about an idea I have to unlock my seized engine.
I plan on pulling the jet pump, sliding out the shaft, then using the impeller tool to turn the engine. What I don't know is if I should only turn in a certain direction so that I don't loosen anything.
This is my first attempt at this.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back