97 Challenger 1800 - engine starts that stops after 5 seconds - RESOLVED

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1997 Challenger 1800 with the dual 787 Rotax engines. I ran into a problem with one of the engines (left) starting then stopping after approx. 5 seconds. It was helpful to have one engine running fine as it allowed me to swap spark plugs and verify I still had a problem. In other forums for the 787 engine people recommended testing the stator and the also the connection from the key (DESS) to the MPEM. However, because my right engine was working good I eliminated any issue with the key (DESS).

What I was able to find is that there was a loose ground from the battery to the left engine. The loose ground seemed to produce a light spark at the plugs but also may impact the connection to the MPEM. The right engine has a separate ground cable from the battery (in my case) so the right engine was always grounded. The ground for the engine connects to the starter so if you replace your starter be sure to secure the ground cable to it securely. Hope this helps others!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back