97 been rebuilt still has issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeepgirl

Long story short. Bought used jet ski road it 4 hrs just fine next time road 10 min then motor died with loud beeping and bad smell. Thinking the oiler failed and motor blew. Rebuilt motor and did a carb kit and re placed fuel lines. Pemix gas and oil and now only run right. It'll try to open up and run the bog down REALLY bad then try to open up then bog again. . Ideas?

I really have no idea just a rebuild. My stepdad did it. Here's a pic of it.

Attachments

• 20180316_142931.jpg
    20180316_142931.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 53
The ski looks to be in great condition.

Can you get us a picture of the engine compartment? Also don't ride it any more until you verify the fuel system.

Best insidea pics I could get

Attachments

• 20180318_135621.jpg
    20180318_135621.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • 20180318_135611.jpg
    20180318_135611.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
First off pull the drain plugs, spray the entire inside with Castrol Superclean then hose it off. That’s too dirty to work on. You have some gray fuel lines so those need to be replaced.

I would be very suspicious of those carbs getting all new internal Mikuni parts. I would also replace the fuel selector and fuel strainer o-ring.

I agree on rebuilding the carbs w/ mikuni kits. Also, those grey fuel lines have got to go asap. Ethanol breaks them down and spreads this molasses substance all through the fuel system.

Your original problem sure sounds like it overheated. That beeper sounds only when your head gets hot enough to set off that overheat buzzer. Have you checked your cooling system? I would make sure that drain line off the T-fitting behind the jugs is clear. I had mine filled with sand once. Make sure you can bend it at the lowest point to verify no sand blockage. What failed on the previous motor? What did the pistons look like? You need to determine why your previous motor failed before running your new one. Those oiling pumps were pretty reliable. Unless you had an oiler line break, that would not be my prime suspect. If you're not going to use the oil pump, I would take out the oil pump drive shaft to stop it from spinning the pump (if you left it on and didn't just buy a block-off plate). You don't want to spin that thing dry. Those pumps can also be tested with a drill. There is a spec in the manual for how much they're supposed to flow at a certain RPM. I believe the flow has a linear progression, so you can measure it based on your drill speed and calculate what it should be based on the spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back