'97 717 Hung Up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

12vman

I had an issue with my '97 GSI the last time I went to use it back in September.

Went to start it at the ramp. Fired right up then stopped abruptly.

Tried to hit the starter again but the engine wouldn't turn a full revolution with a good battery.

Brought it home, took the plugs out and rotated the flywheel by hand.

I can only turn it about 1/2 of it's normal revolution. Looking down in the cylinders I don't see anything

Removed the jet pump thinking that somehow the impeller made contact with the wear ring - no such luck.

No damage on the outside of the motor that I can see in the hull.

Ran great the last time I used it. Original 717 that has 175 hours on it.

Not sure where to go from here. How many hours can I expect to get out the 717 and what are my options if I have to rebuild?

Thanks in Advance,
-12vman

May have stripped the rotary valve gear and now there's binding on the crank that you encounter when you try to spin it. Had this happen on a parts ski I bought and it was also a 717.

Probably need to do some disassembling unless you have an inspection camera. I purchased one from Harbor freight for like $65 and it's been worth every penny. If you have a camera, look down the carb at the rotary valve. Make sure there isn't anything in the intake ports, and that the rotary valve is spinning. Also check down the plug holes and see if both pistons are moving.

I did finally get my hands on an inspection camera.

Looking down the cylinders and thru the exhaust manifold I am not seeing any scoring or metal shavings.

Really just trying to figure out if I could get this back up & running without sinking a lot of $.

It's a 97 2-stroke in relatively good condition with 175 hours.

Pull the head at this point. If you find nothing then pull the starter, if it still won’t turn pull the carb and rotary valve cover, if still nothing then you need to start tearing down the engine till you find the problem.

I'll be watching your thread closely. I have a 1996 GTI with the exact problem. I've removed the cylinders/head, starter, and jet pump/driveline. Will remove the carbs and rotary valve cover next. I may go pick up one of those Harbor Freight inspection cams.

I was wondering if those Harbor Freight cameras were any good. I wouldn't mind having one. My 20% off coupon expired yesterday though..

Update: I pulled the entire motor out of the ski.

Not sure how long ago but the 4 motor mount nuts
under the mount plate were loose.

This could have contributed to the problem. Could the motor movement have tied
the lower end bearing?

The harbor freight inspection camera works great only paid ~ $65 for it with a coupon.

717-1997-175 Hours.jpg

Mine ended up being a carb bolt had fallen down and slightly bent my rotary valve. The previous owner had just rebuilt the carbs and first time on the water he said the engine locked up.

Wow you nailed it, exactly what happened to me. Not sure how the bolt got down there I usually cover all the ports when I have them open.

I removed the Rotary cover and found a bolt. Slid the valve slightly away from the crankcase.

I am able to rotate almost a full revolution but not quite.

Could this be the sprocket that rides on the rotary shaft(290935735)?

Do I get to the shaft from the top end or do I have to split the bottom end?

Rotary Valve.jpg

Get a complete gasket and seal kit and split the bottom end to do it correctly. It typically bends the rotary shaft when it strips the gear.

You are going to want to remove the rear PTO before you take the engine apart.

Right on. Several teeth are stripped, Still can't get a full revolution. The score marks from the rotary valve, is that an issue? If so is there a process to machine that?

RotaryShaft.jpg

Thought I would give everyone an update on my progress and also a question or two..

I ended up doing swapping the motor with SBT under their core exchange program.

Moved everything from the old to the new. Also replaced the rotary valve and rotary valve cover.

Also replaced most of the fuel line while I was in there.

Finally got it back together tonight, said a few prayers.

Hooked up the garden hose and fired it up on land . Everything seems ok at this point.

I was looking at the carbon ring and floating ring, they were very hot to the touch after running for just 10 minutes.

Is that normal?

FloatRing-CarbonRing.jpg

10 minutes is way too long on the hose. 2 minutes at most. The carbon ring is cooled by being in the water

Water Test went well tonight. Ski ran good in the water, no issues.

Has anyone done the oil pump calibration? The service manual talks about aligning the cable arm to the mark on the oil pump body. It mentions using a small mirror to aid in the adjustment. I don't see the mark on the pump body. I think I am slightly rich considering the amount of smoke I am putting out.

Pic number 10 shows the alignment clearly . The linkage arm should be almost straight down. From now on when removing cable only loosen the front nut and you won’t lose alignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back