96 XP VTS not working with working VTS Module/Motor

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghebert1111

I picked up 2 96 XPs recently, one with the VTS working and one with the not working. I pulled the VTS module from the VTS working ski and hooked it up in the VTS not working ski. Unfortunately the VTS still did not work. I've run the test, from the manual, on the green/white to black and blue/white to black test that tests the VTS buttons and they are working. One thing more to add is the XP where the VTS won't work has an MPEM from an SPX, I believe, I'm trying to confirm that.

So now I'm looking for the next thing to test.

My VTS module front wires are as follows:
Single:
  • Purple with White stripe
Double:
  • Brown with White stripe
  • Brown with Black stripe
Triple:
  • Black
  • Green with White stripe
  • Blue with White stripe

How is the 7.5 amp fuse in the rear E-box? You did connect the 2-wire plug between the rear box and the VTS right?

I was in communication with the XP seller last night and determined that the black box in the back of the boat was not the correct one. It has no 7.5 fuse and the grey and orange plug has 2 of the wires capped. He is going to get me the correct black box and I will report back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoops, duplicated.

I was in communication with the XP seller last night and determined that the black box in the back of the boat was not the correct one. It has no 7.5 fuse and the grey and orange plug has 2 of the wires capped. He is going to get me the correct black box and I will report back.

The seller reporting in here.

After talking to Gil, we figured out that I happened to install the only non-VTS box I own. I'm getting the correct unit out of my parts stash this week for him.

I got the correct box and the trim is working perfectly. Now I know more than I thought i needed to about the rear black box.

Thanks.

I've spent some time trying to get the trim gauge working and am stuck. I've ohm tested the Male plug from the boat with the Br/Black and Br/White wires and am getting from about 17 to about 170 so I'm getting the signal to move the trim gauge. I'm pretty sure I know this plug matches a female plug on the gauge and are connect in the ski (in bold below). I'm not sure what to do with the remaining plugs.

NOTE: This is not a typical 1996 XP setup It has a a 1997 SPX MPEM. It also has no Multi-function gauge or speedometer. It does have an analogue gas gauge with an oil warning light. Also there is a 6 wire plug connecting the boat to the gas gauge.

The gauge wires are as follows:

Female plug
Brown/White
Brown/Black​
Female Plug
Black/Brown
Purple/Brown​
Male Plug
Purple/White
Black/White​

The boat wires are:
Male
Brown/White
Brown/Black​
Male
Red/Purple
Brown/Blue​
Male
Black
Purple/Yellow
Blue/Purple​

I was able to get my Trim gauge working using this. It isn't perfect, I think the gas gauge is not working but I'm not to concerned with that. I'll post my setup tomorrow.

w9899spxgauges_spx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back