96 XP questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 96 XP, for free. Has been sitting in a heated shop for the past 10 years and the cylinders are (were) full of oil. Preliminary plan is to have a rebuilt put in it, but want to be a little but knowledgeable before I take it to the mechanic. It looks untouched in the engine compartment and still has gray fuel lines.

Questions-

Assuming the oil in the cylinders issue is a crank seal, can it be anything else that would not require a new engine/crank?

Got 2 beeps when I put the key on the post, again assuming this means the MPEM is good from previous posts, is there any reason to worry about this?

VTS clicks from the box in back of the hull when I try to move it up and down, where do I start to troubleshoot this?

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

Adam

If it’s been sitting for 10 years the oil might not be a problem. It is a very slow seep it is nothing to worry about. I would get the oil out and run it then determine how fast it is leaking.

You have to remove the gray fuel lines and rebuild the carbs with genuine Mikuni kits before you do anything else.

The trim box is bad 99% of the time from the rubber boot tearing. The box can’t be fixed and have been known to blow out the engine MPEM computer.

Dude, that oil probably SAVED that engine. Otherwise, it'd probably be all rusted up at this point. I agree, this is not a definite indication that your crank seals are bad. Could have leaked via the injection pump or RV seal, which is much easier to repair. Drain the engine, fill the tank and see how fast it leaks down. You can also gently pressurize the rotary valve cavity to test those crank seals (I wouldn't do more than 5psi) if you want to find out quicker. This will test the crank and rotary valve seals, but will require a way to slowly pressurize something.

Just picked up a 96 XP, for free. Has been sitting in a heated shop for the past 10 years and the cylinders are (were) full of oil. Preliminary plan is to have a rebuilt put in it, but want to be a little but knowledgeable before I take it to the mechanic. It looks untouched in the engine compartment and still has gray fuel lines.

Questions-

Assuming the oil in the cylinders issue is a crank seal, can it be anything else that would not require a new engine/crank?

Got 2 beeps when I put the key on the post, again assuming this means the MPEM is good from previous posts, is there any reason to worry about this?

VTS clicks from the box in back of the hull when I try to move it up and down, where do I start to troubleshoot this?

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

Adam

Don't know if you've gotten it torn apart yet but I had the same situation in my 95 sp that I am rebuilding. Got it from someone who had it sitting for a while, the whole engine was filled with oil, so I figured I needed crank seals. I tested the check valves, rebuilt the bottom end to find that the rotary valve seals and the crank seals were all fine.
You probably won't need anything since it was just sitting, just take it apart and clean everything up, I also put a new top end rebuild kit on it, it's very easy and not too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back