96 XP Project- Ignition Coil-Testing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron

I am troubleshooting: no spark to plugs on 96 XP.
Ohms reading plug wire to plug wire with caps off is- 15,000. With caps on
it is 21,000.
The caps test @ 4.8.

Is this good? as i am going to take it in and don't want to be taken to the cleaners if the problem is just the coil.:confused:

Thanks

Info?

well its supposted to have 4.8ohms of resistance on the coil in the windings i believe i'd have to dubble check the manual do you have one? I was having troubles with my 96 xp as well it turned out to be a simple lanyard problem do you get two beeps when its installed? if you do your dess maybe goofing up try putting the ski in self diagnostics mode with the lanyard out push the start botton 5 times put the lanyard back and hit the start botton again if you get beeps you have a problem (let me know and i get you the information on what the beeps mean).. the dess lanyard which in turn could be telling the security function or dess that someone is tring to steal it so it disables the cdi from firing the coil and result no spark... if you don't get any beeps the mpem is communicating with lanyard and you should be able to start if it doesn't start pull the lanyard off and reinstall and hit the start botton and you may have spark...thats what i had to do on mine you might be lucky and just need to clean your lanyard.

Good luck and well see you on the water...

:agree: try that after you trouble shoot your mpem problem just to make sure that it's not a cdi problem but metal shavings and be all over the pick up and you'll need a 10mm socket for all the bolts on the outside of the cover 3/8 hex for the motor mount and 14mm for the motor mount bracket and youll want to tip the ski a little bit to get the cover out to be cleaned. i pulled mine out where the MPEM sits. by removing the mpem and sliding it right past

yeah, if there isnt power ( I use a 12v light tester at white wire at coil) if it dont lite up, then changes are the igniter is bad...the other mpem look'n thing, in-cased in electrical box., think on lid side.

yeah in on the top theres 6 wires 3 yellow, one red,1 white and 1 black wire almost foregot you'll need the battery fully charged becuase the iginition is battery power ignition system so it can drain your battery.

thanks for all the possible solutions.
With the two primary wires on coil off, analogue resistance reading between them is 9.
I connected a standard wiring probe with alligator clip and light between white wire post and wire as i turned it over. The bulb did not light.

History...when i purchased it i was told so and so's friend (supposedly knowledgable in jet ski mechanics) believed the problem with the lack of spark was in the cdi.
Being it was a project purchased at a very good price, i figure i can get it going without too much in expense :rofl: (without alarm from the wife:boxing_smiley:).
I purchased a CDI box on ebay and will have to transport the ski 120mi one way to have the lanyard programmed by this reputable seadoo dealer with the purchased CDI.
In the meantime i am...once again, going through all the troubleshooting
possibilities on this issue that i have read about on this forum. And hoping
to get lucky by finding some other part to be the issue. Such as ignition coil.

I have not swapped out the purchased cdi yet.
I do get the two beeps from the lanyard.
I do have a thorough manual on the ski, that explains the basic and advanced diagnostic use of the lanyard.
Don't want to get into the housing until after i have the other cdi installed and programmed.

I am thankful i have my trusty 97 gtx and can approach this project as a project and not have to get teed off at this complicated machine.
Thanks guys.

i'd pull the front housing off theres not much to it 2 hours and a few beers and a few choice words and you got it. if you need any help were here for you it maybe just a simple cleaning needed with air gun or it might be the stator inside that got dirty or stoped working.

Update

I am troubleshooting: no spark to plugs on 96 XP.
Ohms reading plug wire to plug wire with caps off is- 15,000. With caps on
it is 21,000.
The caps test @ 4.8.

Is this good? as i am going to take it in and don't want to be taken to the cleaners if the problem is just the coil.:confused:

Thanks

Took the XP project in to a reputable seadoo dealer. Isolated the no-spark issue to a bad trigger coil.:)
Part ordered $81. Looks like a easy installation.
CDI box purchased (and not needed)now on EBAY.

Update- XP With No Spark... Spark!

:) Replaced Trigger Coil. Old coil was broken off-(pic attached)
I have spark at the plugs!!

Charged battery, then proceeded to turn over. Few revolutions and lock up. I pulled plugs and continued to blow out excess oil.

After about 1/2 hr I put plugs in, primed carbs (had taken off and cleaned filter and replaced lines) It started but died quickly before i could throttle up.
A few more revolutions and lock up, (forgot to prime carb:rant:) oil lock up.
Recharge battery and will go at it tomorrow.

Question/s: 1. XP water inlet hose (inside engine) w/red cap. What is the diameter hose needed to connect.
2. Is it ok to pinch off the oil feed hoses while trying to expel excess oil out sparkplug holes.
3. Would a tiny bit of starting fluid be safe for carb.
4. Being i had the mag cover off, do/will i need to bleed the oil pump.(adjusted the throttle with the pump mark already)

96 XP Project with No Spark - Updated

:) Replaced Trigger Coil. Old coil was broken off-(pic attached)
I have spark at the plugs!!

Charged battery, then proceeded to turn over. Few revolutions and lock up. I pulled plugs and continued to blow out excess oil.

After about 1/2 hr I put plugs in, primed carbs (had taken off and cleaned filter and replaced lines) It started but died quickly before i could throttle up.
A few more revolutions and lock up, (forgot to prime carb:rant:) oil lock up.
Recharge battery and will go at it tomorrow.

Question/s: 1. XP water inlet hose (inside engine) w/red cap. What is the diameter hose needed to connect.
2. Is it ok to pinch off the oil feed hoses while trying to expel excess oil out sparkplug holes.
3. Would a tiny bit of starting fluid be safe for carb.
4. Being i had the mag cover off, do/will i need to bleed the oil pump.(adjusted the throttle with the pump mark already)

Replaced all fuel lines, tightened carb bolts to correct specs, as i had inadvertinly tightened to inches not pounds. Took out for a test run. Good idling, but when throttled up it would bog right down and die. Unless you held the choke @ 3/4 closed.
Went home and did some research, backed off the high speed carbs to 1.5 turns out.
Went back out and it took off like a bat out of hell.
Awesome feeling after year and half of tinkering.

Thanks guys for all the help. The ski is too small for me and too powerful for my 52 year old back. I will stick with my GTX. Thus the ski was taken to florida by my son for his pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back