96 xp nightmare

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lodgepole

I have a 96 xp that I just cant figure out how to fix.

It ran great until about 4 years ago and then started bogging down when I would first start it then after about 5 minutes of putting around at idle speed would all of a sudden take off and run great for the whole run. Then when you turned it off you would have to go through the same thing all over again. Every time you turned it off the same song and dance. Also when we would take it to lake Powell it would get worse as the week went on and by the 4th or 5th day would take over 15 minutes to finally get up and go.

I rebuilt the carbs about 3 years ago and no change. Just dealt with having to wait a few minutes for it to get up and go. Then had a mechanic look at it and said to rebuild the carbs. So I went ahead and had him do them ($250) thinking maybe I didn't rebuild them properly. After he did the job there was still no change.

Then a few months ago when I got it out of storage it wouldn't start so I put in a new battery. Tried again and no lights on the dash or anything. Took it back to the same guy who did the carbs and he said the stator tested bad so he put in a new one ($425). Seemed like that solved the problem because it started right up. Then took it to the lake and same bogging problem. After 5 minutes of putting around it got up and ran like a bat out of hell. At least I figured it s running again.

Anyway, yesterday we took it out again and it was running great (after the 5 minute ritual) and then all of a sudden it just died. When I went to start it again I got no lights, beeps or anything. I guess I should mention that the electronic key has always been kind of touchy having to be pressed on and pulled off repeatedly to get the dash to light up sometimes.

So after about 10 minutes of looking under the hood I finally decided to look in the mpem box and found that the 5 amp fuse had blown, so I replaced it with the spare and after putting it back together put the key in and it started right up. However after riding for about 1 minute it stopped again. I looked in the mpem box again and sure enough the fuse had blown again.

Anyway this is where I am at now. I am about ready to run this thing off a cliff. I am tired of wasting money on this machine. However when its running good it is a total blast to ride, so I may give it a couple more tries. Sorry to make this so long but wanted to give the full story. If anyone has had the same problems or has any suggestions that might fix this machine it would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back