96 xp engine knock/rebuild help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronski

My cousin bought this 1996 xp and ran great till first time of summer last year wouldnt start so he took it into the shop had a new starter put in then they said it had a knock from the crank bearings but wanted over 3k to fix it. so we ripped it apart have the whole engine apart and found no signs of any bad bearings or abnormal wear except on the pto side crank bearing seams a little rougher then the others but bearly. so kinda stuck with what to do know. did the shop just bs him for more work or did they mess up something in changing the starter out..we did find they did not put in the back starter bolt could that have made the "knocking sounds"? we want to replace the pto bearing but cant get the drive shaft gear off the crank is there a trick to it? any input will help

3K is robbery, if it were me I would put the engine back together and exchange it for a rebuilt short block.

http://www.shopsbt.com/seadoo-jet-ski-engine-standard/40-107.html

Of course there are other options, that's just what I would do.

BTW, welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

Lou

I agree, especially since you have it apart. Not worth re-assembling a 17 yr old motor back together with all the work that is invoved. I have always had my rebuilds done local, but I probably will go with an sbt premium next time to save all the hassle and have the (no-fault) warranty.

What the "knock" prob was...the pistons. A little bit is normal, and if it has compressed water the water squeezes past the the rings and pushes in on the skirts. Over time the skirts fold in more and more till eventually it breaks.

Tough call without seeing it, but if your buddy has the dough he might as well get it rebuilt. If he doesn't, replace the crank seals, hone the cyl, and replace the rings and see how long she lasts.

agree with Minn, most likely piston slap. I've seen them sound like a sewing machine but run for years. The 951s are more known for this from the water ingestion issues they have.

somebody who quotes you 3k is not an honest shop because they know it would never be worth 3k so I think you're spot on with the bs call.

For a 96 xp, I would just put it back together with minimal cost per above. Could last a day, could last 5 more years. Not worth putting any real money into unless it's mint and if it lets loose just fix it then and hope it doesn't do other damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back