96 xp battery not charging??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

yiw1z4rdcom

Hello guys well i just got my seadoos back from getting the carbs and gas lines done and the guy who worked on it was saying that they both run great but one has a issue he said if you put a new battery on it runs fine.. then five mins the battery light flashes. so in the back of the sea doo there is a black bock that has a solenoid in there and blue stuff all over it looks it has sat in water.. would that make it not run and the battery go dead..

Is the part you are referring to part no. 12? If so that's the solenoid, while you would need to clean the corrosion off it's not likely that's your problem. If the battery is not charging I would look to either the stator or voltage regulator. Put a voltmeter across the battery and measure the voltage. What is the voltage across the battery at a fast idle, about 3500-4000rpm?

http://fiche.seadoowarehouse.com/se...ype=13&make=seadoopwc&A=210&B=10&modelid=1996 Sea Doo PWC XP REAR E

Lou

it was at 13 v at 35 but when i was out on the lake the battery light was flashing but when i hit the vts up or down it would fix that problem? then about 5 more mins it would come back now if i hold the vts button up or down dont have that issue at all

So are you saying you only get the battery light when you use the VTS? If that's the case, your VTS motor may be drawing too much current and may be on the way out, personally I wouldn't worry about it until the motor quits all together. Also I would check the VTS boot and make sure your VTS is staying dry.

Exactly what is the voltage across the battery at a fast idle, first you said it was 13v. now your saying 13.5-14v. which is still marginal.

Lou

no no no when the battery light come on or starts flashing i hit the vts button up or down and the flashing goes away and the ski takes off it will act up then ill hold the vts button once more and it will run fine.for about 5 mins batt light comes on hit the vts up or down runs fine..

I just had a friend, another Appalachian Technician, give me some advise. He says what you are doing is temporally interrupting the circuit when you press the VTS, which sounds logical to me.

You need to check your battery have it load tested, check your cables, if you can't find anything then you need to fix your charging system. Again you need 14+v. across the battery at a fast idle.

Lou

so the voltage regulator went out in it and top of the regulator is fried can you use one from a auto parts store bc i have spent so much money on the skis i just want to ride them also if it will work on the oem regulator there are three yellow wires and a red one. can you tell me secs upon them or how to hook aftermarket one up..

Or could i run it by just un hooking the red wire dont really need the battery just want one day of playing with out spending so much money

Last edited by a moderator:
yes you do need the battery.
assuming you've spent so much money, why would you stop when only one thing is left to fix ?

I don't know of an aftermarket regulator that will work, unless it's made specifically for a SeaDoo. Post a picture of the "fried" regulator, I've never seen one do that. If you don't need the battery what's all the fuss about?

If you don't want to take our advise please don't ask, no one on this forum gets paid for doing this.

Lou

Ok guys well i got it all fixed runs like a dream just gotta do wear rings but it was the voltage regulator and a relay in the front. call around and they wanted to charge me 150 for both.. then got a bright idea about calling the guy who rebuilt my carbs and a 5th of my home brew rum and 5th of home brew wiskey he gave me the parts. hehe

not sure whats goin on with the ski now but after i put the voltage regulator and the new relay in the front box it ran great yesterday and i took it out for a bit today and get about a mile from the dock and start acting up hit the gas would not go no rpm no nothing so i cut it off and started it back up worked great about 30 mins go by and it started once more cut it off and ran fine tell i took it out of the water. any ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back