96' Speedster with "electrical problem" won't start..???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdk19890

Hi guys, first off let me introduce myself as this is my first post. Im TDK im here in sunny Orlando, Florida. I am a novice boater and am just starting to get my feet wet.

My question: I am looking at possible purchasing a 1996 Speedster from a guy who says the boat was running great but now seems to have an "electrical problem and won't start" He posts that it is "twin 85 hp engines 170 hp, new batteries, new impeller, Boat is in good shape electrical problem won't allow the engines to start. I think the ignition needs replacing"
This is what he told me. Is this possible to be an easy fix or are there a few other things I should be worried about? Here's a pic of the engines attached.
137.jpg

Thanks,

It could be any easy fix... or it can be a nightmare.

The simple.....

1) could be a fuse
2) could be a bad connector
3) the lanyard post could be bad/dirty. (it has a security chip in it)

The bad.....

1) could be a bad MPEM. (Very expensive, and hard to get) It can be adapted with other units, but still cost about $700

2) Since you can't hear the boat run, you could have 2 bad engines too.

3) since you can't take it out for a ride, both jet pumps may need rebuilt.

Personally... if it's a non running boat... it's worth $1000 to $1500 depending on it's physical condition. AND... if you can't do your own work... it's not worth it. Dealer prices are very high, and they can basically charge you want they want to do the trouble shooting.

corrosion

I would have the owner allow a compression test then remove the head cyls and examine the inside of each engine, this way you at least have some idea of internal condition, this will give you the idea the motors can at least turn - a pair of these motors installed cost about 4000 + ign unit 1000, if you can see the pumps in good condition offer based on what you can see.

Ok, thanks for the knowledge. I will hopfeully be able to give it a close look later today. I will post an update on the situation after I see it in person.

Thanks guys!

Hey guys, I did'nt end up taking the speedster...It just looked to much of a mess...the pic I put up looked 100 times nicer than in real life...Some other guy was there to buy and I just let him have it....anyhow, now Ive found a 95 seadoo GSX im looking at...Illm post a new threahd in it later.

Thanks

Hey guys, I did'nt end up taking the speedster...It just looked to much of a mess...the pic I put up looked 100 times nicer than in real life...Some other guy was there to buy and I just let him have it....anyhow, now Ive found a 95 seadoo GSX im looking at...Illm post a new threahd in it later.

Thanks
Good choice, so any boats for sale right now. No reason to settle on something that doesn't even run.

I agree with Cypher, without a water test it is gonna be a long summer watching from the shoreline while you fix-test-fix-kick the trailer tire-fix-wait for new broken bolt, you know the routine....

Yep....Thanks guys....I do have a '95 SPX for sale...runs great, just put in a new battery for the summer....cosmetics need some love though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back