'96 Speedster stearing problem, right engine less rpms

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoaterBen

I love my Speedster, but this year she is going through some stress. I do not have the manuel which doesn't help. If anyone can help with these problems please do:

- stearing wheel doesn't feel tight anymore and barely turns right. However it trys to slowly turn right while driving straight. Does turn left still not as tight as it did last year.

-right engine is lagging 2-500 rpms behind the left the whole way up. Max on the left is around 7k right is maxed at 6.5-6.8k.

-Gas gauge doesn't work. Oil light is always on.

-Glove compartment rattles like crazy

Thing actually runs pretty good the stearing thing is pretty annoying though. Still goes 55mph and looks dang good imo

I love my Speedster, but this year she is going through some stress. I do not have the manuel which doesn't help. If anyone can help with these problems please do:

- stearing wheel doesn't feel tight anymore and barely turns right. However it trys to slowly turn right while driving straight. Does turn left still not as tight as it did last year.

Sounds like the cable is going bad. When the seal on the transom goes bad... they eventually rust internally. OR... you've bent the center link somehow.

Disconnect the cable at the pumps... and see if it feels free, and make sure the nozzles move free also.

-right engine is lagging 2-500 rpms behind the left the whole way up. Max on the left is around 7k right is maxed at 6.5-6.8k.
That's normal. That's why they put 2 throttle levers on the boat. If you get a gouge in a wear ring... or bend an impeller... one will run faster.

-Gas gauge doesn't work. Oil light is always on.
Could be a bad gauge, or a cut wire somewhere. That's a problem for it's own post since electrical can be hard to track down.

-Glove compartment rattles like crazy
Normal. You have a 19 year old boat. It's going to rattle.

Thing actually runs pretty good the stearing thing is pretty annoying though. Still goes 55mph and looks dang good imo

Thank you very much!
Is it hard to swap out the cables? Any dui's anywhere?
I will test it in a couple days right now I'm going to keep it in the water and drive it anyway!

And yes I will have to figure out how to afford a newer one the next couple years but this is a very nice first boat imo. We love it.

I don't care too much about the gas gauge honestly, the issues that you adviced on are definitely appreciated.

The steering cable isn't hard to replace. The hardest part was getting the steering wheel off for helm access and leaning over the engine compartment to peel the old silicone away.

The steering cable isn't hard to replace. The hardest part was getting the steering wheel off for helm access and leaning over the engine compartment to peel the old silicone away.

I will take it apart in a few days thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back