96 speedster problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEW2THEBOAT

Hello, i bought a 96 speedster and put a new battery in and as some as i put the positive cable to the positve battery post the left engine cranks. I thought it was the selonoid so i bought a new one. Still the same results. Except when i unplugged the stitch that comes from the mpem that runs to the selonoid it stops. I thought it might be the start/ stop switch so i unpluged that as well and still cranks. I unplugged the mpem from the main plug at the top right corner and still turns over. Also this whole time the dess key is not on. If it is the mpem is there a way to run without it or run something compatible. I cant afford 1250.00 for a new one. I cant find a used one anywhere. I have looked everywhere on the internet and no luck. Please help me!

you sure, the relay has cable from battery along with red wire attached to post on one side, and other red cable from post to starter, on other. THis syptom is strange...
For mpem, you can acquire 2-95XP mpems', and rewire system. You wont have d.e.s.s., but who cares...havn't been stoked on it anyway..

It must be the switch that you unplugged. I would check again as this dosen't sound possible, I dont understand how the MPEM had power to charge the solenoid when you had the main harness disconnected:cheers:
It could be a short/bad relay in the MPEM if you could find the relay then maybe you could fix it. Rewire the start/stop button straight to the solenoid. i dont realy know if this will work but it's something you could try before spending that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the reply

Thanks for the help! The battery wires are hooked up to the selonoids correctly. i can take the plug that runs to the top of the selonoid and plug it into the other selonoid and the other egine starts. The start and stop button is unplugged so it cant be that button. how do you fix the relay in the board? It has some kind of sealant on the board, if i try to pry that off im afraid i will damage the board. how can you rewire 2 95xp boards to it? Does anyone know what that yellow and black wire that plugs into the top of the selonoid is and where it goes? It is running straight to the mpem. How can that be defected? does this sound like the mpem? The other switch that plugs into the other selonoid works fine. I have the harness that runs to the mpem from the other electronics unkooked and it is still doing the same thing? i am clueless!!

Cranking

There are two wires in the plug for the solenoid..... one is black (ground) and the other is yellow and red. The MPEM supplies 12 volts to the yellow and red wire in order to engage the solenoid. You apparently have 12 volts going to the yellow and red wire all the time and that is why that engine always cranks. Follow the harness that the yellow and red wire go thru and unplug it from the MPEM. If it stops cranking then the MPEM is faulty. If it doesn't stop cranking then either that yellow and red wire is pinched or attached incorrectly to a 12 volt source.
Good Luck, DAWG

no clue with this wiring

i found out it is the mpem on that side. ( yellow and red wire that is going to the mpem. how can i bypass this. i took plug and wired it straight to the start/stop switch and got nothing. i even atached a wier running straight to the red and yellow wire coming from the start/stop button. what is a "toggle"?

You can't....

You can't bypass the mpem. It's includes the electronic security system which includes the wiring, charging and electrical distribution systems.

P/n..278000423

google/yahoo that number, and see what it shows. Its for 95xp, so, if you wanna "dump" the d.e.s.s. completely, getcha one of those, for 200buks, and wire it up. Might lose a few functions, but least didnt cost you an arm for new mpem...the coil and relay inside the electric box, are compatible with that # mpem.

Mpem

The reason that wiring the yellow/red wire directly to the stop/start switch doesn't work is because the stop/start switch is momentary ground switch, not a momentary 12 volt switch. I suppose you could wire in a momentary switch between the starter relay (yellow/red wire) and a 12 volt source but make sure your new circuit is fused between the switch and the 12 volt source. Having said that.............
The odds of there being something else wrong with the MPEM, besides the yellow/red wire circuit, are pretty good. Your probably "beating a dead horse"

Speaking of odds.............
From what I gather you don't have a very good understanding of your boats electrical system.
The odds of you successfully wiring in a MPEM from a 95 XP are REAL BAD.
THe odds of you giving up on the project are REAL GOOD.
The odds of you finding a mechanic on either side of the great Mississippi river that will be willing to work on your boat after you have abandoned the project are REALLY, REALLY BAD!!!
Good Luck, DAWG

Oil pump

Thanks everyone that replied with the help. I found a mpem on ebay it works great. I am wandering if anyone knows how to figure out if your oil pump is woking? i have alot of smoke from one engine but not the other one. I am using valvoline tcw3 with ash is that ok to run in a 96 speedster with 717's
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back