96 Speedster mid range engine problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 96 Speedster and the port engine has been given me some problems lately. Before I had the problem where the engine would not rev above 3K rpm. I put new plugs in, clipped the wires back and rebuilt the carbs. I've got black fuel lines so I did not replace them. Now the engine starts great and revs fine until 4K. When you hit 4K sometimes it will bog and then rev up to 6K. Once you have it at WOT the engine will swing between 6K and 5500 rpm fairly quickly. I bypassed the fuel selector switch and the fuel filter and the problem is still there. I've got good spark so it seems it would have to be fuel related. When I rebuilt the carbs I couldn't get off the regulator plate so I left that alone. Could that be it? Does it sound like an adjustment problem? I didn't mess with any of the adjustments. I also replaced the wear ring over the winter. Could I have done something to the pump to cause this problem? The other engine runs great so the fuel is fine.

Thanks,
Cheap

when you say, didnt mess w/adjustments, is that being, you put the new o-rings on lsa/hsa needles, and put back at o.g. settings,or never touched them at all?..set lsa at 1.25/.50, and hsa at "0"...if confident not carb related, then disconnect the red wire from rectifier, see if helps...

I didn't change out the o rings on the lsa or hsa. I could go back and put them in if you think that would help. I've tried the rectifier trick and that didn't make any difference. I did convert the boat to a single battery, but it has been running like that for the last year and the other engine is running fine. The fact that the problem comes and goes really has me puzzled.

mentioning the pump..you can pull the plugs out, then turn pto w/ hand, see if smooth...w.carbs, be like chang'n 4 out of 8 plugs, and call'n it a tune-up. Have read, where dude didnt replace the o-ring around the seat assy(n/s), had problem, went back, installed it(came w/ kit), and walah...(just 1 less solution for equation, install the o-rings)...also, make sure tank is venting, and no exhaust leaks, especially from waterbox to exhaust port...:cheers:

Ok, turned the PTO with the plugs out. All smooth. Also checked the exhaust and it is all tight both on the entrance and the exit of the water box. I'll pull the carbs and change out the o-rings. Yeah I should have done it in the first place, but I got a little a head of myself and forgot them. With my luck I put the o-rings in and everything will be fine. I'll report back after I change them and have a chance to water test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back