96 seadoo xp wont stay charged

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon85

Hi everyone, I have a 1996 seadoo xp that loses its charge after running out on the lake for awhile. Whats been happening the last couple of years is after I ride it for a half hour or so and then go back to shore and take a break I cant get the jetski restarted unless I take the battery out and recharge it. The only time I used it last year I had to get it towed back to shore after I shut it off and took a break. I don't want that to happen again. What im wondering is what needs to be replaced or worked on to fix this annoying problem? Also my VTS hasn't worked in about 5 years which I would like to get working again. I thought I read somewhere once that could be a culprit for the jetski having problems staying charged but im not sure. If anyone can tell me whats causing my jetski to not hold a charge and the VTS not working at all I would very much appreciate it!
thanks,
Brandon

I should add the battery light on the display gauge comes on as soon as I put the key on and often stays on various lengths of time. Anywhere from 5 min to the whole time I ride it.

Probably have a bad regulator. Put a meter on the battery, (should be about 12.5v) and start the engine. Bring it up to 4000 RPM, and you should have 13.5~14.5v on the meter. If not... then check the regulator, and the stator coil.

If you have a broken VTS... make sure you take the fuse out of it. Bad VTS units have been known to kill the MPEM.

I pulled open the front and rear electrical box covers and I see the 15 amp fuse in the front is blown out pretty bad and the 7.5 amp fuse in the back looks fairly corroded and weathered. ill replace both of them. this prolly sounds stupid but how do u know much to push the throttle in to get to 4000 rpm? theres no rpm gauge on this like a car. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back