96 Seadoo XP misses and bogs down then dies

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfatica

I have a 96 Seadoo XP that starts and idles properly (slightly on the high side), but as soon as you press the throttle it misses heavily, coughs out some white smoke, and then eventually dies. When it dies, it is very abrupt. There's not time to let off throttle or pull the choke to try and save it. Sounds very similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=kS1c53_xz_4

Engine is remanufactured, only 6 months old. Carbs were rebuilt by a professional at that time. New oil pump, oil lines, and rave valves.

Here is what we have tried:
-Replaced the spark plugs
-Replaced the rectifier (meter was showing 16.1 volts at battery while running)
-Emptied the fuel tank completely bone dry, checked the filter at the bottom of the tank connected to the baffle and it was fine (we cleaned it anyway while we had it out and put fresh fuel in.)
-Cleaned the fuel filter just under the steering bars
-Took apart and cleaned the fuel selector switch
-Took apart the carb enough to get at the little fuel filter in it, this was clean as well
-Checked both cylinders for compression and they both registered right around 130 psi
-Adjusted the low speed set screws on the carbs according to specs in the manual (1 full turn counterclockwise after it was turned clockwise till we felt resistance.)
-Adjusted the high speed set screws on the carbs to specs (these can only be turned a quarter of a turn in either direction, (both were set at the same position.)
-Battery is fully charged

None of these made any difference.

We started testing electrical pieces according to the FSM. The DC-CDI is testing bad. None of the resistance values match what is listed in the manual. Do these go bad on their own? It is a very expensive part new, and there aren't too many used ones on ebay. Could a bad CDI be causing the problem I am having?

Any other suggestions or has anyone had a similar experience?

symptom suggests the rv gear or stator pick-up bracket may have failed, but hey, trust your manual.

That was actually the final component I wanted to check. The only way to check this part is to remove the cover and visually inspect it? I've been hesitant to remove that housing cover because it looks like its connected to the engine mount.

I will probably attempt this in the next day or two.

Is the stator a more likely part to fail?

My 94 was doing something similar and it turned out to be a bad o ring on the water separator on the fuel line. It sealed well enough to idle but as soo as it tried to draw more feul it sucked air instead leaning it out and killing the motor. I think any minor leak in the feul line would do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back