96 seadoo xp 800 cylinder replacement?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So there is a man on Craigslist who is selling a 96 xp 800 with a "burnt down cylinder" and he said it would be a fast fix. He is selling for 600. Would it be a hard or stupid risk? I'm very new to problems of this caliber so please, work with me. If anyone could explain it to me in depth for what a burnt cylinder is and how easy or hard and not reasonable it is, I would really appreciate it. Also, I am not alone in getting it going, I have friends and adult people who are pretty good with motors and 2 strokes to help me.

Most likely the engine will need to be removed from the craft, torn down and analyzed for a rebuild or replaced with a remanufactured engine.

Occasionally, the top end can be replaced while the engine remains in the craft, but repairs like that are dependent on the condition of the engine and how badly it was damaged, this method can become a waste of time and money it ti doesn't go well.

So it really depends on the overall condition of the engine, most likely it will need a reman engine and whatever else might be wrong elsewhere, like gauges and other electronics, it's a bit of a crapshoot when buying a craft that doesn't run.

If that is the original engine, its time for rebuild. By just doing the top end, you are adding more force to the weak/tired bottom end. And that will cause a bearing or rod failure in the bottom end in the near future. You also have to determine the cause of the failure. If lack of oil, bearings in bottom end would have suffered as well. Heat causes fluids to break down, stresses metals. Lean conditions melt holes in pistons.

I only replace a top end if I know the cause of the failure and/or if the bottom end is fairly new, or its a beater ski and i don't want to pour a bunch of money into it.
Take my '91 GT for example. If it decided to pop a piston or crack a ring, There is no way i would ever rebuild the complete engine. Not worth the time or money. But for 200$ to make it live again, is well worth it IMO.

Send it out for a full rebuild with warranty, your looking at 1000$ with shipping. Parts are about 750$ but you need a clean shop, and the right tools. When i rebuilt my 951, it took two evenings just to clean/prep all the gasket surfaces, then another evening to re-assemble it. (torqued everything to half-spec and waited overnight for case sealant before torquing fully to spec)

IMO a broken down xp for $600 is at the top of the price scale.

$250-$400 is the going rate IMO. mainly due to the fact that its never just "that", you'll probably have pump issues, cable issues, carb issues, gauge issues, etc etc etc.

if you had a well equipped garage "shop" and you've done this all before, (teardown, inspect,rebuild) then i'd say go for it, but if you had said shop, and you have done all this before, you'd also know that its not worth it, since you would have been nickle and dimed before...

trust me, if it was a simple "quick fix" the seller would "quick fix" it, and sell it for $1200 himself. its rarely simple, its rarely, quick. I've purchased quite a few broken down ski's and only 2 out of maybe 20, have been simple things (carb rebuild, and she's running), I had two that went that route, the other's were typical messes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep if it was that easy, the seller would fix it. He is just trying to find a sucker who will believe him. I see that crap on CL all the time. Just needs a top end, or just needs a piston. Like already stated it needs a rebuild motor, and fixing the problem that caused the failure, most likely a fuel system overhaul.

Yep if it was that easy, the seller would fix it. He is just trying to find a sucker who will believe him. I see that crap on CL all the time. Just needs a top end, or just needs a piston. Like already stated it needs a rebuild motor, and fixing the problem that caused the failure, most likely a fuel system overhaul.

Kinda like speedster98's CL find "just a scratch in the cylinder" http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/4002436141.html

Classic...

Thank you all for the help. I am just looking for something to beat on so I don't kill the family gti ya know? So In the end it is not worth it right? I really appreciate all of your guys help...just need something speedy and nimble for wakes and chop for jumping. Any suggestions?

When i was in vancouver, someone wanted 5500$ for a 2000 xp seized engine and a 2001 gtx that "needed a starter" He was 5 mins away at the time, so i decided to take a look and possibly laugh. Walked away with both seadoos and trailer for 1000$ (trailer had flat tire)

Fortunatly the GTX was only a starter, so i sold that one for 3500 no trailer and sold the xp to a local mechanic for 600$ It cracked the cases because of the counter balance shaft seizing up, so it wasn't a project i wanted. Kept the trailer and later gave it to my dad.

That was my best deal. 1 in a million that he even took the lowball offer. but it is possible.

Thank you all for the help. I am just looking for something to beat on so I don't kill the family gti ya know? So In the end it is not worth it right? I really appreciate all of your guys help...just need something speedy and nimble for wakes and chop for jumping. Any suggestions?

If you want a beater ski that will be bulletproof, get an old 2 seater from '90 up. They arent the best for looks, but they are nimble, quick, reliable, and simple to maintain. That, and a new engine is like 500$ 91-92 xp's i always found intriguing. The green and purple is so bad, its kinda good lol!

Its a good motor, but the absolute most reliable engine is the 580. My next favorite is the 720. You can fix just about anything on those engines with a 6mm allan head wrench, 10 mm,13 mm sockets and a flat screw driver. (and spark plug socket)

quite simply w/o any real mechanical knowledge or significant time on your hand, or a deep pocketbook, then a fixer-upper is not a good plan. Its a terrible plan. a "cleaner-upper" yes, but not a "fixer-upper"

And those are found in xps correct? Just early model ones? They look like a sick starter ski!

Yes. '90-91 were 580. 92-93 were 650. 94-96(sometimes) were 720cc. All great engines.

And I agree with spim, for your first ski, don't look for a big project. Get something that is running, or close to running and play with it, learn how to service it, and eventually fix it. Once you get comfortable and learn them inside out, then look into an engine project ski or something like that.

My first seadoo was a blown up 92 XP. It was in pieces & the engine in a box, but it was only $100 so I snapped it up. I learned a lot & I enjoy 2 stroke projects, so the labor was no big deal, but by the time I went through everything, I sold it at a monetary loss. IT was a nice ski & was fun, but if your looking for a ski to ride without much of an investment. by something like the other guys mentioned. Blown up neglected 90's skis can be a money pit. However, a well maintained one can run forever & they're easy to work on.

Thank you all for sharing the knowledge! Really loving this forum! In a month or so I should be contacting a guy with a 95 xp who claims it's running, hull looks presentable (I think, dang iPhone cameras blow) so it should be a good little thing to examine over ice age (winter) here, and make it look all fancy and what not. I'll post my results if its still around! Thanks to all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back