96 Seadoo XP 787 Starts great and idles fine but bogs down and won't go fast

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adameggleton

Hey guys new to the forum so here it goes
I recently bought a used 96 xp 787 that had recently had a rebuild and after using it for a few hours it has decided to no longer run correctly
Now this isn't my first attempt at finding the issue out I've been doing a lot of research.
And have come up with a list of thing I am going to check out
Here the problem at hand:
I was riding with the girlfriend on the back just getting out on the lake a few minutes into the ride it quit on us. Now before this happened It had previously died on me because I forgot to turn the fuel on but I turned it on and away we went.
So once it died on us the second time after the few minutes went by of riding it would no longer rev up it would only rev up slightly in a bog as if it were only running on one cylinder.
Let the throttle go and it will idle great also will run well with a slight press on the gas.
So after we take it out of the water and changed the plugs it ran great for another 5 minutes and did the same thing. And I was Slowly making my way back to the launch and it starts going again even WOT.
This didn't last very long. Took it out and took it back to the cottage.
The next day it seems to just wanna bogg down when gas is applied. But still started up like a gem.

Note the day before this happened my VTS got stuck because the limit up switch is broken so I decided to try and fix that with little luck and just manually moving the position to just below half and putting it back together. All that is dose now is the relay clicks behind the motor and motor doesn't move.

Here's what I dug up already.
For starters it has the tempo gas lines.
I bought 25' of the 1/4 black gas line from part source and about 20 hose clamps.
Going to change the fuel lines tomorrow

I'm going to try and clean out the carbs and see if there is any blockage in the filters in the carbs. Apparently I am looking for small little tubes full of green/black goop.
The xp just had a rebuild and about 12 hours on it. In the paperwork it says there was a carb kit purchased. Could they already be gummed up?

I'm going to take apart and clean the rave valves.

Check all the fuses.

I also tested to see if the rectifier was working I put it in the water attached to the dock to see the voltage as throttle is applied and it would read 14.7 or something and normal voltage around 12.8 but I don't think it was bogging down at this time. Could it be a rectifier on its way out only working some times ?

Any other thoughts?

I will post again after I do the lines and cleanings and a water test but in the mean time let me know of any other things I should consider .

Thanks for reading my huge rant and hopefully thing thread will help others down the road !

12 hours is plenty of time to plug up the carbs again if the fuel lines haven't been changed. You need to clean out the carbs again and change the lines, and go ahead and replace the fuel selector while you're in there.

Go ahead and get a compression reading to make sure the new rebuild is bedding in ok.

I agree with Strizzo, get the fuel lines, carbs cleaned and selector done.
Also clean the Rave valves, sounds like they could be sticking as well, maybe from the extra oil from the premix for the break-in. The next time it acts up on you intermittently unplug the red wire from the rectifier/regulator, your ski will still run normally but wont charge the battery when it is unplugged. When a rectifier is starting to crap out it will make strange intermittent things happen while running or trying to start your ski.

What type of injection oil is in there? The wrong oil will clog up the Raves quicker as well.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! . It's been running ams oil interceptor synthetic 2-stoke oil since the rebuil.
And do you think I need to replace the fuel selector or would I be okay to just give it a good cleaning ? Do they go on you is it just a might as well do it while the fuel lines are off kind of thing ?

Thanks for the quick replies guys! . It's been running ams oil interceptor synthetic 2-stoke oil since the rebuil.
And do you think I need to replace the fuel selector or would I be okay to just give it a good cleaning ? Do they go on you is it just a might as well do it while the fuel lines are off kind of thing ?

Tough call on the fuel selector, I have cleaned one and had it work fine for 2 seasons, and I have cleaned another with poor results. Most recently I just purchased a "new" one to save the headache. An easy way to determine if your clog exists in the fuel selector is to try running it in "on" and "reserve" if the behavior changes between the 2 settings you have some clog in the fuel selector.

:agree:They gum up very easy and are tough to give a good cleaning. They also have an o ring in there that can be worn and cause a fuel system suction leak. They are cheap to buy so most guys just replace them.

Order the selector, if you have to wait too long, clean the one you have real good and use it until the new one comes in.

It runs the same in reserve as it does in on position . Any suggestions on the best site to order parts off of ? Might just buy a new one and then I won't have to worry about it .

All of the fuel system lines etc repairs are needed anyway, but your problem most likely lies within the rectifier. The voltage test at battery does not rule out a failed rectifier. I had perfect voltage readings at battery and it was still my culprit. After re-doing complete fuel system, it was the rectifier that was causing my bog issues.

You can search some of my postings on this board about it for more details but I would get a new rectifier and put it in the ski, take it out and see how it does. Of course after getting rid of the grey fuel lines and cleaning everything.

Rob

Is this the rectifier I need ? 96 Seadoo xp 787

image.jpg

So I found this on amazon and will order it pending it's the right part let me know I have no idea

Yep, rock on!
It's simple to change and I have diagnosed 3 different skis recently and the rectifier has fixed it.

I would buy a good used one, or a new oem one. Those aftermarket ones are not good. Alot of people have problems with them. Myself included, I bought one and it worked for a couple rides and then went bad.

I've had good success with the aftermarket ones but either way works. Couple guys here on the forums would be a great place to source an oem one.

Rob.

All of the fuel system lines etc repairs are needed anyway, but your problem most likely lies within the rectifier. The voltage test at battery does not rule out a failed rectifier. I had perfect voltage readings at battery and it was still my culprit. After re-doing complete fuel system, it was the rectifier that was causing my bog issues.

You can search some of my postings on this board about it for more details but I would get a new rectifier and put it in the ski, take it out and see how it does. Of course after getting rid of the grey fuel lines and cleaning everything.

Rob

I did all the same things and thought for sure mine was a fuel delivery issue.....nope ended up being rectifier. You can almost ALWAYS guarantee if it eventually clears up.....if likely isn't fuel delivery. There's very few scenarios that something randomly clears up then comes back that isn't electrical of some nature on these skis. We don't have EFI so random fuel delivery issues are pretty rare.

I would buy a good used one, or a new oem one. Those aftermarket ones are not good. Alot of people have problems with them. Myself included, I bought one and it worked for a couple rides and then went bad.

yup hit up @minnetonka

do the fuel system stuff first, then if the problem persists, replace the rectifier.

absolutely agree. That stuff HAS to be done anyways, just saying it's likely the rectifier. If you don't do the fuel system you'll be replacing the motor AND the rectifier. :)

did the fuel lines last night. tomorrow i will me cleaning the carbs and rave valves and I'm ordering the new rectifier as well

Are you Burlington, NC?
If so once you get that ski running good, come ride with all of us one weekend! RDU area.

did the fuel lines last night. tomorrow i will me cleaning the carbs and rave valves and I'm ordering the new rectifier as well

Took the carbs off and the little filters were a bit dirty some dirt in there and green slime. Rave valves seem free and move we'll. put it back together and started it up it ran great, WOT no problem just waiting on the rectifier I bought from [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] before I water test it
Can't wait!

The real test will be on the water, WOT on the trailer tells you nothing. I've never run one WOT on the trailer, I see no point in doing this.
Good luck with the water test! I hope your problems are solved

The real test will be on the water, WOT on the trailer tells you nothing. I've never run one WOT on the trailer, I see no point in doing this.
Good luck with the water test! I hope your problems are solved

Ya just gave it a quick rev up and let it idle for a few seconds and shut it off but ya water test will be real test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back