96 sea doo xp please help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

97xp787

i have a 1996 seadoo xp and i threw a rod last season. i bought all used parts to get it running again but it dosnt want to start. i ran a compression test and i have really low compression. what should i start with? thanks in advance

New parts!

This is a simple one.....New Parts!
These engines are high performance (over 7000 rpm) and can't just take any old part and put in it.....
When you through the rod, I assume you mean you replaced the connecting rod, the piston, the sleeve or cylinder and if there was casing damage, repaired it with used stuff, which may have already been worn past the usable tolerance. Of, if you used the piston but kept the sleeve and cylinder, then you've greatly mis-matched the parts together, causing bad compression. Also, if you were WOT and locked up, then you may have also twisted the crankshaft. So, my advice here, ............bite the bullet and order a new engine from SBT or the like, before you end up spending a fortune on used crap.........
Sorry, I say it like I see it.......never re-use critical parts from another motor. Your asking for trouble.:cheers:

thanks

yeah i got all my parts for like 70 bucks from a buddy (crank case, crankshaft, rods pistons, sleeves. bored out the cylinders and got new rings but it sounds like it blows by them. i will probably just get a new sbt engine. is there any bigger engine to drop in a 96 xp besides the 787. thanks

Are the 96XP hulls worth enough to put a new engine in?

I always thought they were an ugly shaped hull, and could have been improved upon.

Of course, I have one, but only because it was free. I would have chosen a later model if I had to pay for it.

I Would Give It Some thought!

These guys are correct. I would do some thinking about spending lots of cash just to have a old used ugly seadoo. I would look around for a newer faster seadoo.:)

ScubaDoo

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back