96 gtx won't start, box with solenoid had water in it

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWannaRide

96 thx won't start, box with solenoid got water. I didn't realize one of the ears on the box got broke. I'm new to jetskis and when we put it in the water the drain plugs weren't shut. It didn't get full of water probably only a couple inches. Prior to it, the jet ski worked great. After, it would just make a clicking noise. After I replaced the solenoid, it makes a loud click and has aounded like its trying to turn over only a couple times when pressing the start about ten times. Where should I look for problems? Unfortunately in my area there are very few places that work on these ans the ones that do have horrible reviews. In hoping to be able to get it started and take the kids for some rides this summer. Thanks so much!

Remove the PTO cover and spark plugs and see if you can turn the engine by hand. If you can't, then the engine probably has water in it. Not good

If it turns by hand, then it's probably the starter

I don't mean to sound like I have no clue but, any chance you could give me a little more detail. I can take the plugs out but how would I turn it by hand? Thanks

You are going to remove the grey plastic cover on the back of the engine where the driveshaft connects. Then you should be able to turn the rear flywheel (PTO) by hand.

Thanks, ill try that. So far, I removed both the spark plugs and when I did both of them are dirty, one almost looks like it has a brown rust liquid on the end of it. Am I pretty much screwed?

Ok, so I took the plugs out. Hit start button and rustish water comes flying out. I think I got most and through 2 cycle oil in it. Anyone know what I should do now? Should I keep yrying to start until absolutely all the water is gone and put more oil in it? I'm concerned that if I keep turning it over I'm going to bind something up since I don't really know what the heck I'm doing.

I think it mightve happen in Sept last year. I got new plugs, put some more 2 cycle directly in where the plugs go after getting some more water out. Put a cap of premixed 2 cycle and gas into it before replacing plugs, turns over just like it used to just doesn't start. I think it might be almost as water started pouring out the back at one point. The plugs got fouled of course so now I took them back out, added little oil and letting it sit hoping some air might help? Any ideas? Thanks for responding!

Sorry to bear bad news, but if it has been sitting that long with water in it, it's done, as in, needs a complete rebuild. If you do get it running, it won't last long as the insides are all rusted.

Sorry to bear bad news, but if it has been sitting that long with water in it, it's done, as in, needs a complete rebuild. If you do get it running, it won't last long as the insides are all rusted.

I totally agree the bearings are shot and that engine is done. No questions asked.

Well, thanks for the help. Was hoping yhere wa something I could out in it to clean it out since it's not bound up and actually sounds normal trying to start it now. I appreciate the help, thanka so much. Bummer I just bought the thing and only rode it twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back