96 GTX still bogging down.. ; (

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtxnoclue

Had a slow leak in the engine compartment 5 years ago; A dealers service department claimed it was bad water regulator (on the 2nd service call); They replaced it which led to melting of exhaust hose & engine compartment flooding (I don’t go to that dealer anymore). Not sure what they did (reversed hoses or wiring polarity) but whatever they did was NOT GOOD. Nothing but problems since (5 years worth). Since then:
• Replaced old fuel lines
• Cleaned fuel filter
• Cleaned carbs twice
• Many sets of new plugs
• Cleaned rave valves twice
• Compression tested good (I think 140-150)
• Replaced thrust ring assembly
• Fixed several exhaust leaks

Remaining symptoms:
• Still bogs down at ~3,200 rpm (new mechanic says acts like rev limiter); When jamming on the throttle the rpm goes to ~7k rpm but then quickly goes back to ~3,200 rpm constant. Sometimes this is intermittent & sometimes it does this every time I take it out.
• When attaching key the 2 beeps are only occasionally audible (most times they are extremely faint)
• With key off – press start button 5 times & hear 1 short & 1 slightly longer beep; Immediately put key on & nothing happens when I hit the start button. I thought I read that it should start after going into the advanced diagnostics mode.
• Main gauge is unusable due to moisture causing it to be unreadable (don’t know gas level, etc)

Mechanic working on it now (for the last time). Currently sees smoke coming from the engine compartment. He feels that he’s 92% certain the exhaust leak is the culprit and it’s not the CDI/MPEM (I don’t have the faith). He also says the “Water Box” looks like it has some rust & was going to take a look at it.

I wonder if the flooding could have fried the computer or or if the gauge moisture problems could be causing the issues.

I’m at my wits end & if the exhaust leak work doesn’t fix the problems I’ll either try some things myself or just sell it or part it out. Before I “Give up” do you have any recommendations? Thanks!!

Simple things first, if there is an exhaust leak, fix that first. Then you can check and see if your rectifier is working properly by disconnecting one of the three wires, I believe the yellow but check to be sure. When they go bad, it messes with the digital CDs box and can seem like a rev limiter. With this disconnected, the battery won't be getting charged while running, so it's not a long term solution.

Good luck.

Thanks for your quick reply! I just got the Seadoo back. I'm ashamed to admit it, but the exhaust leak (fumes) were from me putting the rave valves in backwards. Fortunately I hadn't run it except for a few quick starts out of the water. The mechanic said the engine was still fine & he did a compression check (145 & 148). Is there anything I should do to check that I didn't ruin anything?

It now has a new thrust ring but unfortunately it is still bogging down as I described above. At this point (after 5 years, numerous trips to several mechanics, and several hundred dollars), I don't think I can make it any worse so I hope to try some things myself (although the rave valve flip may suggest that I might actually make it worse)...

I searched a few threads & found that I should disconnect the red wire from the rectifier. I did this & for a very short period (out of the water) it seemed to run ok. I hope to lake test it with the red wire of the rectifier disconnected tomorrow or Saturday. I attached a picture (it does look like there are 2 brown spots near some of the connections). If a bad rectifier can cause the "Bogging down" and that ends up being the problem, that would be wonderful (but with my luck I doubt it). I still barely hear the "Beeps" when I put the key on and the main gauge is totally unreadable (not sure if it was moisture or not) so I do wonder about a bad MPEM or ground. Especially since the seadoo filled with water quickly while I was riding it 5 years ago (with the appropriate smoke & it shutting itself off). Not sure if that fried something or not.

If you would, let me know if I should check anything regarding running it for a short period with the rave valves in backwards. Please also let me know if there is something else I should check due to the "submersion" or symptoms.

Thanks again!!

DSC09525.jpg

OMG... I checked the rectifier as described in several posts. With the red wire disconnected it seemed to run ok (no bogging) in the water (but on the trailer). Hooked the red wire back up & checked the voltage - about 12.7 idling & went up to 15V DC when throttle applied. It also started exibiting the "Bogging" issue with the red wire reattached. Put in a new rectifier and voila... 12.5 volts while idling but only went up to 14V DC with throttle applied. Ran it pretty hard for about an hour with no signs of it bogging down. I think the bogging issue may finally be fixed. Woo Hoo!!

5 years of frustration - but at least I now have new fuel lines, clean carbs & filters, new battery, leak free exhaust, clean rave valves, new plugs, new thrust ring, and most importantly - a working Seadoo.

The family will ride it a bunch this weekend to ensure it's good. My next step is to figure out why it doesn't beep every time I put the key on (it's an intermittent problem - more often not working than working).

Thanks again for all your help!!

HI, I have the same ski and HAD the same problem + a couple more. It was solved by one of these 3 things I did. 1. replaced post with a used one from Minnetonka4me, 2. replaced beeper with OEM from Floyd Bell, 3. Cleaned up a possible bad ground at the starter.

Read this thread of mine about a new beeper.
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?46758-Beeper-replacement&p=247986#post247986

Yes, you can buy one from Radio Shack for about $10 but it's bigger and won't fit into the OEM holder clip.

Glad you got yours running finally. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
the beeper just might be old & tired or a piss poor connection, check the connection and if it looks decent I think a beeper is cheap cheap cheap.

what the heck is a thrust ring ?

Wear ring is correct. Sorry... I will probably start with taking a look at the beeper wiring & probably replace it. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back