96 GTX stalling. Possible DESS issue?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bodine465

Picked up a clean 96 GTX with a torn apart engine a couple years back for dirt cheap. Rebuilt the engine, replaced the corroded carbs with a set off Ebay, which I went through & cleaned. Replaced the gray fuel lines. Needed a new lanyard, which was programmed at the dealer. Finished near the end of summer and only managed a couple of break-in rides. Didn't get to ride much last summer, due to remodeling the house, but she ran like a raped ape when I did. She even managed to survive a week at a youth camp, being driven by inexperienced counselors with their kids. Only issue was a starter that sometimes whirs when you hit the button, but will eventually catch and crank after a tap or two.

After camp, I took it to a lake, where it ran fine for a short time, then died. Would crank, but not start unless you let it set for a bit. Once started, it would rev up for a short bit, then stall again. Would run at idle until you opened the throttle, then died. Managed to idle back to the dock.

Figured it was a carb issue and finally got around to cleaning them out again last month. Bit of debris inside. Not sure where it came from. Added new plugs and a plastic fuel filter that leaked air and ruined a day of trying to test it on the lake. Swapped with a metal filter and took it out today. Started and ran a bit rough, but warmed up and started running fine. Managed a clean run around the lake, then it stalled out again. Would restart and sometimes run a few minutes before dying, other times it would die right away. End of riding for the day.

Found a video posted in this forum while researching the problem of JoeStrange's 96 XP that was doing the same thing. Put it into test mode, attached the lanyard, and got two short beeps (MPEM cannot read digital code error) when I hit the start button. Noticed that after going back into test mode, if I applied light pressure to the key after connecting it to the DESS post, there were no beeps and it cranked over & started. Same results after several tries both ways. Cleaned the post & lanyard, no change. I've never had an issue with it chirping and starting, just the recent stalling.

Reading over the post about how the DESS post works, it indicates that one of the three wires completes a circuit from the magnet in the lanyard closing a reed switch, while another handles the code signal to the MPEM. That signal is no longer needed after the ski is started and circuit created by the magnet is maintained to keep the engine running until the lanyard is removed. I used my ohm meter at the DESS connector to confirm that the circuit was complete when the lanyard was attached and opened when it was removed. Circuit remained closed while jiggling the lanyard. This raises the question of why would the DESS post go bad and cause the engine to stall if, even with a lanyard that receives the cannot read error, once the engine starts and no longer needs the MPEM code signal? Could it be an issue with the reed switch that is closed by the magnet coming loose or building resistance? Does this sound like the problem?

Sorry about the long post. Just wanted to present all the details I had to get the best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back