96 GTX Runs on Trailer , not in water problem. HELP!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSchmidt54

Hey guys , im new to the forum , i just recently picked up a 96 gtx from a friend for a steal and rebuilt the top end. The cylinders had some scoring , nothing that a little honing wouldnt fix. after the hone , the cylinders looked alot better, still a little scored, but ok. so i got everything back together and it runs absolutly great on the trailer. i took it and put it in, nothing wont start. so i pulled it out just enough so only about 3/4 of the jet pump was under water and ran it for a bit, i checked to make sure it was getting cooling and it was. i could run it up to 4 grand no problems........but when i got down to 1-1500 it would get touchy , and if i let off, it would suffer out and die.......i pull it back out and it will start up again. plugs look loaded up, i have an additional oz. of oil per gallon of gas right now for break in purposes so i know its running rich. but when i compression test it , its giving me 118 on the front and 110 on the rear............from what i read, seadoo doesnt reccomend an overhaul for anything less than 100 ......so im wondering , should i rebuild the carbs? go after the grey tempo lines and selector? or what?..................i really dont want to have to rebuild the top end again.

Sounds like the scoring is bad enough to loose compression or the cylinder is out of spec. You can't go on looks, it needs to be measured. A new rebuild will have higher compression numbers.Sorry for the bad news.

the reason it runs on trailer is because there's not a load on the engine. i agree that the compression is the problem

Well , i just bit the bullet , i just ordered a SBT standard engine.........i figure i dont know how reliable the bottom end was, so i just splurged and ordered a new one. any feedback on the SBT standard blocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back