96 GTX Rev Issues RPM and Other Issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire

Hi, I've just registered on the forum, but have read around site in the past for help.

I have a few issues with my 1996 Seadoo GTX (787cc engine) which i will list below.

1. My first issue is a revving problem. Some possibly related background: I recently took off the carbs and choke plates to install a primer kit (due to hard starts). I have not used the ski in 6 months. The compression in both pistons is around 148psi........I took my ski out last weekend and it was "popping, bogging, etc" and only getting to 4500rpm, and sounding very ordinary!.. after a few minutes out in the water, it suddenly was able to reach 7000rpm and was running perfectly. acceleration and top end were fantastic..... I went out again this weekend, only to find the same issue, but this time it did not fix itself, so i had to come back in after 10 mins as it would not get past 4500rpm (and bad performance)...
    I have inspected the RAVE valves, and they are clean and free.
    I think the ski might be running oil rich as it blows a fair bit of smoke when revving and even at idle.. Is there any tips on how much to let the oil pump open?

Any guidance on this revving problem would be greatly appreciated.

2. Another question, With the rear boot over the drive shaft, how much play is there suppose to be. I can pull the boot back and was not sure if that is fine?..

What grease do you guys use in the grease nipple at the PTO shaft?

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

If you are sure that the RAVEs are clean and operating correctly then it might be the seals on the rotary valve - these are designed to hold the oil in a bath and if you get the problems you describe and it smokes a lot then it's possible that these seals have gone and need replacing. The oil that is held by the seals gets into the engine and fouls the sparkplugs and you end up running on one cylinder and/or very erratically. When the oil has been cleared then the engine runs hard until you idle when the whole thing repeats.
Over time it will kill the bearings and to replace them is a tear down job.

That would explain the heap of smoke.. i mustn't have explained the rev problem clearly enough.. after the few minutes of the ski running shockingly, it all of a sudden was running fine, and ran fine for a good 45 mins when i called it quits.. this included many idle periods, and even shutting the engine off for 5 mins for a quick swim, etc.
So it seams that something is initially going wrong, and then fixing itself.. when it works, it runs great except for the smoke, but that doesnt explain the extreme poor performance of the ski.

Thanks again the suggestion.. i will need to decide if i fix the ski, or sell it off as is.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back