RESTO 96 GTX Project Shamu

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerdad

Well I have started my Project Shamu ski! It is a 96 GTX that I rescued from a nice group of rednecks at the end of the summer. The ski had 150 PSI compression on both jugs so I picked it up in non-running and very unknown condition. It was COVERED in tree sap and disgustingly dirty inside. The hull is in decent shape with some minor rash on the bottom. I already have one 96 GTX so this is the second. I also picked up a third as a donor ski to keep these others alive. To my surprise, I was able to get it started with little work. So let the games begin.

I am calling this one Shamu. The GTX is a whale compared to my GSX. So keeping with the theme, it will get some black and white treatments. I already have the seat cover. The hood and other parts will get painted black. I am toying with doing a faux carbon fiber paint job. We will see. So this is the starting point where I found it. I will post some of my recent progress soon. Enjoy! I know I am going to! :cheers:

A couple of washes with super clean and the bilge is looking better. Still needs lots more work, but at least I can put my hands in there. Started on the raves. They were packed with gunk. They still moved, but likely did not move correctly. The previous owner obviously did not follow this forum on oils! Meow...

The O-rings on the stems were hard as rocks. I got some new OEM ones. After some good scrubbing, the valves cleaned up pretty well. I will put them back together after it warms up some in the garage. I also had to scrape out some of the carbon goo from the rave valve slots in the block. This thing was gunked up.

Then some more exploring. I pulled out the fuel baffle. I swapped out the float with a nice new white one. Tested it and it works great. No internal connection or fuse issues! Cleaned it up some and it will go back in after I pump out the tank. I also cleaned the fuel/water separator. A fair amount of gunk was in it.

I then pulled the carbs and looked into their condition. I stripped out some of the screws, so after that I bought a nice JIS screwdriver that seems to work much better than a Phillips. http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?75512-Carb-screw-screwdriver-Great-new-toy The carbs are also pretty gunky and need some love. Got brand new carb kits and needles from [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] Looking forward to cleaning these up and getting ready soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I then pulled the carbs and looked into their condition. I stripped out some of the screws, so after that I bought a nice JIC screwdriver that seems to work much better than a Phillips. http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?75512-Carb-screw-screwdriver-Great-new-toy The carbs are also pretty gunky and need some love. Got brand new carb kits and needles from [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] Looking forward to cleaning these up and getting ready soon.

Saw your other thread on the screwdriver. I rebuild a lot of carbs and will be rebuilding the ones on the 95 SPX I'm currently working on. I ordered the same screwdriver on Friday. Should be here anyday.

I think I see evidence of a F1 fuse repair hiding under the rubber grommet.

Glad to see another great Seadoo saved! Do you know the cause of death?(other then the lack of trailer)
Being a 96 I wouldn't be surprised if it needs the rectifier/regulator. They love to fail and make them run crazy. I would put a new solenoid in it. They are only 15 shipped and another known weak link. As long as I'm spending your money here go ahead and throw a new fuel valve in there, I don't trust them.

I think I see evidence of a F1 fuse repair hiding under the rubber grommet.

Glad to see another great Seadoo saved! Do you know the cause of death?(other then the lack of trailer)
Being a 96 I wouldn't be surprised if it needs the rectifier/regulator. They love to fail and make them run crazy. I would put a new solenoid in it. They are only 15 shipped and another known weak link. As long as I'm spending your money here go ahead and throw a new fuel valve in there, I don't trust them.

Yep, to get it started I already had to replace the solenoid. Not sure about the rectifier/regulator yet. And I will soon be digging into the fuel valve. Looking at cleaning one, but unless it is rock solid, I will get a new one. I just went and looked again and the baffle has not been F1 repaired. That is just some more crusty stuff that is lurking around this ski. I just pray that the motor is solid inside. It pumps fine, and the pistons look ok through the rave slots. But it was not treated kindly. I think it has been sitting for a long time.

Next was a look at the welch fittings on the pipe. Well this is now off and will be repaired. I already have my welder friend ready to go with some new disks.

The inside of the pipe is pretty gunky as well. Does it need to be cleaned?

So now the pipe, carb and raves are off. This one has an aftermarket starter. I have a used OEM one. Should I replace it now or wait to see how this one lasts?

So also a little work on the exterior. Decals were cut and some thrashed so I pulled them all off. A good polish out job is in the future.

Pull off the head and get a good look at the pistons and jugs. Plus you can clean out the water passages on the head. You can pull off the head without having to replace the seals.

Replace the starter with a good oem one now before the am one breaks the bendix off inside the flywheel housing and tears a bunch of other crap up.

Pull off the head and get a good look at the pistons and jugs. Plus you can clean out the water passages on the head. You can pull off the head without having to replace the seals.

Great. I did not know you could pull the head without replacing seals. I see that the heads have been removed before. The paint is missing on the nuts.

Pulled it and everything looks good to me. No hatching but no scarring. Better than I expected. Head looks good too.

115.jpg
116.jpg
117.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup better to replace the starter now than be stranded with the old aftermarket crap. Throw some new brushes in the starter and it should be good for a long time

Yep. JIS. Follow the link for an example. My linked post actually has it wrong also. I had JIC on the brain from another work project. The actual driver I got from Amazon is a Hozan D-332-100 JIS +2 Ball Grip Screwdriver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will you be painting the hood yourself? I have the same ski and also want to change the color scheme.

Will you be painting the hood yourself? I have the same ski and also want to change the color scheme.
Well I was going to paint it myself. I've done a lot of painting. I was going to a faux carbon fiber look. Google it, it looks pretty good. Anyway, in my research I found that there is some pretty good carbon fiber looking vinyl wrap material. So I am now planning on doing a full wrap of the hood and probably gauge fairing. I will likely paint the mirrors since I doubt I can wrap them. I'm also thinking the glove box may get the same wrap. The seat cover I got is a custom Blacktip with black, silver and white carbon pattern material, so it should all work well together. I'm leaving the bottom dark green. I may add some dark green accents up top to bring it all together. Still working out the final design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back