96 GTX Issue - Replaced Rectifier

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonk73

Hello all,
After reading multiple threads and investigation - I replaced the rectifier. The Issue: At startup (when it would start), the engine would run but internetantly respond to throttle. It felt like it was bogging down. It would never run at correct RPM for more than 5 seconds. I replaced the rectifier, same issue, only this time it wouldn't start at all, just crank.

I disconnected red wire from the rectifier and the engine starts and runs fine. Of course the battery won't charge now. If the rectifier is new, what else could it be? Any comments are appreciated.

Update: Rectifier replaced with OEM. Engine runs fine Out of Water - but in water bogs down on acceloration right at 4500 RPM, stays running but doesn't respond to throttle. let off throttle, try again, same thing, runs strong for 3 - 6 seconds, then bogs down. Also replaced the Relay assembly and checked all fuses in the Grey Front box.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does disconnecting the red wire from the rectifier do? I chased my no spark... sometimes spark from one end to the other. I have some threads that may help. I thought the rectifier charged the battery. I checked the CDI and MPEM and ended up find issues with the stator and trigger. Still don't know if I got it solved but I'm feeling pretty good about it. :)

Sounds like a DOA rectifier. If it wont run with the red wire connected, and runs fine without, it is the rectifier. A bad rectifier throws all kinds of weird voltage into the system. So the erratic running and then the no start sounds like you replaced a bad one with another bad one.

Unfortunately, there is no good way to static test the three wire rectifier. You will find procedures to test the two wire but not the three wire (Three yellow wires that go to the stator)

Also check that holder relay with the 15A fuse on it in the gray ebox (where the recifier is). I had a bad one of those and it gave me fits. Would start sometimes but run like crap. Wouldn't start other times. Turned out the contact in the relay were bad but it was intermittent.

Last edited by a moderator:
On mine it was the relay. It is a complete potted assembly (fuse holder and relay). I don't think new ones are available anymore, however you can buy good used ones on Ebay or check with @minnetonke4me. I just bought a good used one.
Here's one I found on ebay. You can find NOS ones too. To test yours, connect an ohm meter across the two red wires. It should read open. Then connect the purple and black wires to a 12v source and the relay should click and the resistance between the red wires should be close to zero ohms. Remove and reapply the 12v several times and make sure the resistance goes to zero every time. This is where mine failed. It would remain open sometimes, high resistance other times and zero sometimes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-96-SEADOO-SEA-DOO-XP-787-800-ELECTRICAL-ELECTRIC-RELAY-FUSE-/272658737786?hash=item3f7bba2a7a:g:N~QAAOSwhvFZDHWo&vxp=mtr

OK, i tried yet another (3rd) rectifier, same issue. I replaced the Relay assembly with one from my other 96 GTX which runs fine (except from the cracked jug), and still same issue. Runs great for about 3 - 5 seconds, right around 4500 RPM it bogs down. If I let off the throttle and then go back on, process repeats. I rebuilt the cards - do you think one of the cards is starving? I've also read threads it is a Fuel Selector issue. Sigh.....

OK, i tried yet another (3rd) rectifier, same issue. I replaced the Relay assembly with one from my other 96 GTX which runs fine (except from the cracked jug), and still same issue. Runs great for about 3 - 5 seconds, right around 4500 RPM it bogs down. If I let off the throttle and then go back on, process repeats. I rebuilt the cards - do you think one of the cards is starving? I've also read threads it is a Fuel Selector issue. Sigh.....
If it has rave valves you could clean them... Saw a video of it and looked not too bad. It was done because they were sticking and caused bogging down during acceleration.

Update: I failed to mention - this issue with bogging upon acceleration is Only when it is in the water. Testing out of the water - no issues at all.

Outside of "Yep, it runs", there really isn't a whole lot you can tell about these things without having them in the water with a load on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back