96 GTS not running full speed after engine compartment flood

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharding08

So I made the bone-headed mistake of not putting the drain plug in my 96 GTS sea doo. I have two and the one still had the connectors that kept it in the hole, so when I put in the water, it sucked the plug in and gave me enough time when I got to the dock after parking truck/trailer to seal it and not have that much water. The other one's plastic connectors broke, so I had been keeping the plug nearby, so after inspection, I put the plug in (normally). This time I didn't and by the time I got back the whole engine compartment was filled with water, like above the battery.

I pulled it up on a bank and drained the water and amazingly, it started. We ran both of the skis hard for about 2 hours and it was noticeable that the flooded one wasn't hitting top speed like it used to. After we were done, I drained and left seat off to make sure it dried.

We took the skis out about a week later and I had issues getting the flooded one to start. With some choke and throttle, I got it to fire up. The idle seems kind of inconsistent and sometimes going full throttle from idle doesn't rev the engine up. If it does, I still feel like its not getting full RPMs at full throttle. It still moves but doesn't seem like its 100%

I was thinking I would have to rebuild the carb, but could it just be spark plugs and fogging the engine?

I bought new drain plug assemblies from OSD and installed before this trip and made sure they were secure before we put them in.

I'll def get a compression gauge. Anything else it could be? Seems like it's a fuel/air thing. Like the carb isnt opening up all the way. I tried running it as hard as I could to get all the water out of where it shouldnt be.

The carbs do not need to be "rebuilt",,,however,,,i had a submerged ski once,,got it cleaned and running,,,but not right,,,i pulled the carbs to find water trapped under the plastic clear diaphram of the fuel pump ,,,just a long shot,,,also had one once where water was trapped in the rav bellows,,,preventing them from working properly,,,Just some ideas,,,
However,,,if you have a weak cylinder,,,it will nit run properly regardless,,,so,,,check the compression.

I just had a similar issue after a flooded engine bay, I had some electrical connections in and around in rear ignition coil box that had water in them and were slightly sapping voltage.
At low RPM to moderate throttle it seemed ok but would misfire at 50->100% throttle.

I would open every electrical connection, and pull every fuse you can find, clean with a electric cleaner/corrosion remover then compressed air and test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back