'96 GTS cranks but won't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mokofoko

So, this waverunner was able to start up without issue as recently as last night. The temp sensor failed and I removed it to test it--forgot to screw it back in. I took it out for a short spin (about 10 minutes) and I heard an alarm wail (obviously couldn't be the temp sensor--what could it be?) going off on the way back. Hooked up for flushing and realized my error when water came shooting out of the sensor hole. I shut off the water first (I normally wait 10 seconds, but in a state of confusion I shut the engine off only 1-2 seconds after the water) and put the sensor back in, but from then on it would only crank but not start. There was some water inside the engine compartment (maybe 4-5 inches worth)--which was quickly drained.

I recharged the battery and hooked up new spark plugs. I poured a little gas into the cylinders and have pulled the choke while attempting to start 5 seconds at a time. I've made about a dozen attempts. The engine cranks good and strong--no differently from normal. Any suggestions on what to try next? I'm in trouble if I can't at least get it back to the trailer.

TIA

Didn't check yet--sorry, limited data available and have minimal tools here. Did some reading--before I try, would this be the preferred method to check for spark?

Unscrew plugs, connect plugs to boots, hold both at the boot end (with bottoms an inch or so above engine head) while someone else attempts to turn over? I should then expect to see sparks arc from both plug bottoms to the engine head?

A spark tester would be better, but yes you can do it this way. Just make sure you let the engine bay air out. No gas fumes! Dont hold it to long once you see blue spark let off the button.

Thanks! Tested, and both are sparking. They're not visible arcs, but tiny blue sparks showing on the engine head surface--should I be seeing full arcs?

I just removed the air silencer to check all of the gas/oil hoses and throttle/choke cables, everything appears to be working as intended. The water didn't quite go high enough to reach the electrical box, so I assume that's completely safe. I read that it could be that the battery providing voltage that's too low--maybe it went bad quickly--should I try picking up a new battery?

Other ideas to try next? Spray starting fluid in the carb? Disassemble and clean the carb (really hope to avoid that level of work).

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont use starting fluid, mix alittle gas and oil in a spray bottle if you want to try that. Measure the voltage of the battery, then again while trying to crank.

Dont use starting fluid, mix alittle gas and oil in a spray bottle if you want to try that. Measure the voltage of the battery, then again while trying to crank.

I was about to run those voltage tests on the battery, and the engine fired up with a little coaxing! I left the air silencer off for a few hours, which was the only difference from previous attempts. Maybe some gas evaporated? I measured the battery at 11.6V in resting state, and never got around to measuring during cranking--I read that something like 10.5V is the minimum necessary.

Anyhow, couldn't be happier--no need for a mechanic house-call, which would have been pricey. Really appreciate the timely assistance. I learned a few things, which I should be able to apply in the future.

One thing I'm still wondering about: what caused the monitoring beeper to go off continuously on my trip back? The temp sensor was removed, and the connector wasn't grounded to anything--I checked--and is wrapped in a plastic sheathing. I thought maybe it was a bilge alarm, but the 96 shop manual says a continuous beep is only for the temp sensor. The only thing that could have touched it was the water shooting out of the temp sensor hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back