96 gti cooling concern

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

THEREVIVAL

Got a 96 gti not to long ago took it apart to repair a leaking jug/cylinder. Once it was back together we found no water flow through the small cooling lines coming from the exhaust manifold to the t-fitting and out the back of the ski. Exhaust is cold to the touch after running a while but still no water. Engine temp is perfect and cooling system is functioning fine except that . In the picture you can see its the lines at the bottom off the manifold. Every other line is fine. Any ideas? Or should I not worry about it because its functioning correctly otherwise?
66.jpg

the port could be plugged .....or one of the lines are plugged if its cool you now its cooling so look for a blockage from the manifold to the tell tale

I have been researching this as part of another cooling thread and have a 717 engine with the top taken off to take some pictures that I put all kinds of pretty arrows/labels on, but do not seem to be able to get them uploaded/posted yet. I can advise here when I get them uploaded if desired.

The cooling flow is into the IN at the rear top of the head. The head/cover is kinda split for water flow up the middle with a port side that outlets to the port directly opposite it on the front of the head to feed the tuned exhaust. Inside the top of the head cover this port side flow feeds internal ports that go down into the cylinder cooling jacket. The cylinder cooling jacket is not baffled, but has one set of 4 outlets at the starboard side going back into the top cover and out the OUT connector at the rear of the top of the head. The other outlet from the cylinder cooling jacket is under the exhaust ports, thru the bottom of the exhaust header to the 90 degree connector to which the tubing to the tee, outlet and pee hole is connected. I hope this makes more sense than confuses.

As Brock said above or a blockage in the 90 degree connector or exhaust header.

The 90 degree fittings on the exhaust header and tuned exhaust are specific sizes internally to properly regulate the water flow to the various parts and thus should not be replaced with standard pipe fittings.

Hope this helps a little.

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been researching this as part of another cooling thread and have a 717 engine with the top taken off to take some pictures that I put all kinds of pretty arrows/labels on, but do not seem to be able to get them uploaded/posted yet. I can advise here when I get them uploaded if desired.

The cooling flow is into the IN at the rear top of the head. The head/cover is kinda split for water flow up the middle with a port side that outlets to the port directly opposite it on the front of the head to feed the tuned exhaust. Inside the top of the head cover this port side flow feeds internal ports that go down into the cylinder cooling jacket. The cylinder cooling jacket is not baffled, but has one set of 4 outlets at the starboard side going back into the top cover and out the OUT connector at the rear of the top of the head. The other outlet from the cylinder cooling jacket is under the exhaust ports, thru the bottom of the exhaust header to the 90 degree connector to which the tubing to the tee, outlet and pee hole is connected. I hope this makes more sense than confuses.

As Brock said above or a blockage in the 90 degree connector or exhaust header.

The 90 degree fittings on the exhaust header and tuned exhaust are specific sizes internally to properly regulate the water flow to the various parts and thus should not be replaced with standard pipe fittings.

Hope this helps a little.

Rod

Lol so I shouldn't take the manifold off and drill it open Haha jk. Gonna try a little compressed air first to try and clear the blockage

Here are the pics ... for the right price I might let this motor go .... definitely shows the bad effects of salt water. I was told this came out of a 98 GS.
Rod

Attachments

• DSCN0107-b.jpg
    DSCN0107-b.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0104-b.jpg
    DSCN0104-b.jpg
    671.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0099-b.jpg
    DSCN0099-b.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 12
Here are the pics ... for the right price I might let this motor go .... definitely shows the bad effects of salt water. I was told this came out of a 98 GS.
Rod

i dont believe that if someone gave me a hundred dollars for me to take that motor that i would want that in my garage. looks like a good small boat anchor :thumbsup:

Aww, cummon ... just a few little superficial blems, just look how nice the exhaust ports look!

I was thinking about putting it on the coffee table in the living room just to see if the redhead notices. Anyone got a hideout I could go to for a while?

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back