96 GSX wiring issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seapup0

Need help! Battery sparks when hooked up. The red wire coming out of the coil box to the fuse box gets hot. Also wire from fuse box to the front of the engine gets hot. When I unplug the connection from the front of the engine there is no sparking and no hot wires. Is there something inside the front engine cover that is shorting out and if so what do I need to do? Thanks

get a multimeter to test!! Feeling for warm wires isn't the same as testing for a hot one!

Honestly, if you want to get serious about figuring out wiring you NEED a multimeter to do your testing. Varify what you have told me with a multimeter and I'll pull some wiring diagrams and let you know what I see.

I would renew these wires and or check for corrosion on the contact ends.

Its a 96 you say.... The copper cables turn black with age. And dont conduct electricity aswell as new.
A god tip on cleaning black wire ends prior to soldering is to dip the bare ends in silver jewellry cleaner or Pepsi/Coke.
It works the same way as droping a copper coin in the stuff. Cleans like new.
Makes soldering sooooooo much easier.
p.s
I Prefere Diet Pepsi.:rolleyes::)

All testing procedures are found in the shop manual, with the wiring diagrams. It explains how to test using a couple methods for the stator, as well as all other electric components.

solved

Update!! Problem solved, bought a stator off ebay, installed it and sled is running like a raped ape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back