'96 GSX fuel problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

71 Javelin

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum, and looking for some technical help. We're attempting to sell my wife's '96 SeaDoo GSX, since we haven't used it in three summers, simply due to work, weather, etc (it was winterized, and stored indoors since then). 108 hours on the machine.
Last week, I drained mostly all of the old gas, that could be reached with the siphon, and added about 6 gallons of new, fresh, premium gasoline. I also purchased and installed new spark plugs and a new battery. After just a few attempts at cranking about a minute or so, it now starts easily. The test drive however, was quite disappointing.
Again, it starts quickly, idles fine, and hasn't stalled at all. A quick squeeze to wide-open throttle, and the response is instant. It leaps out of the water and hits 6500rpm(+) for about one second, then drops down to a slow, sluggish 3500 and stays there. It feels like it's starving for fuel. I can maintain a steady RPM anywhere between idle and 3500, but nothing above that. If I want to hit 6500 again, I need to remove my hand from the throttle for a few seconds, then give it another try, but the result ends up the same every time.
I feel like perhaps it did this once before (several years ago, maybe), but that it had kinda' worked itself out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.

It may be sucking air in the fuel system. First easy test is to open the front hood and look at the fuel water filter. Unscrew it and reseat it. That may fix it. BUT

The bad news is that the carbs may be plugged up with goo from the fuel lines. On these skis, they came with gray fuel lines that are attacked by ethanol in todays fuel. It plugs the lines and carbs and does exactly what you are saying. The problem is that if you run it at all that way, it will lean out the motor and kill it quickly. (minutes, not hours) So, the lines will need to be changed and the carbs cleaned. Not a huge deal, but will take a few hours and a couple hundred bucks if you do it yourself. So you will have to decide on your plan of action since you are selling it.

Classic symptom of bad fuel lines. Replace them and clean out the fuel selector switch and you'll be good. Also, clean the raves with wire brush

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it still has the original grey fuel lines. I had used marine-Stabil in the past, and added fresh fuel before running it every season, but yeah... today's fuel is garbage. I've found a local gas station that sells 90-octane ethanol-free, but it's usually around $4.50-$5.00 a gallon, so I haven't used it in the GSX.
What exactly, about replacing fuel lines and cleaning carbs, is going to cost me hundreds of dollars? I'm asking because I'm relatively new to PWC repair, and I really don't have a clue. Classic cars, yes... PWC, not so much.
I don't want to dump a bunch of money into this thing, just to sell it, but I certainly don't want to ruin a motor with only 108 hours on it. I'm sure that any potential buyer would like to see/hear it run properly. Do you think that cleaning the fuel filter, selector, and raves, and adding a can of Seafoam, might do the trick? I was just looking at the fuel lines, and that looks like a pain in the... um... you know.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it still has the original grey fuel lines. I had used marine-Stabil in the past, and added fresh fuel before running it every season, but yeah... today's fuel is garbage. I've found a local gas station that sells 90-octane ethanol-free, but it's usually around $4.50-$5.00 a gallon, so I haven't used it in the GSX.
What exactly, about replacing fuel lines and cleaning carbs, is going to cost me hundreds of dollars? I'm asking because I'm relatively new to PWC repair, and I really don't have a clue. Classic cars, yes... PWC, not so much.
I don't want to dump a bunch of money into this thing, just to sell it, but I certainly don't want to ruin a motor with only 108 hours on it. I'm sure that any potential buyer would like to see/hear it run properly. Do you think that cleaning the fuel filter, selector, and raves, and adding a can of Seafoam, might do the trick? I was just looking at the fuel lines, and that looks like a pain in the... um... you know.

Well that's one way to help blow it up quicker....

You need to replace the fuel lines and clamps, and clean the carbs. Its not hard. Just time consuming.

25 feet of 1/4 inch fuel line: 30$
Fuel selector if yours is corroded 15$ aftermarket.;
blue locktite 10$
about 4 hours of time start to finish.

The tempo lines dissolve and clog the carb filters and what you are experiencing is a small amount of fuel making it through the filter and then your using it up quickly. Seafoam will only help clog it up more.

You need the service manual. it will show you everything and step by step how to do it. If you can handle classic car's, this is easy for ya :)

Start by taking the airbox off. 6 screws
Then the flame arestor 4 screws. (THESE ARE LONGER keep them seperate)
Then the fuel and return lines. Lable the two lines. Fuel is the bottom one, return is the top one.
At this point you can either take the carbs off or replace the lines.

If you replace the lines just remove one at a time and replace it. Use all stainless clamps.

If you do the carbs. start by removing the three cables. Try not to move the jam nuts so that the settings will be pretty close.

Remove the 4 bolts holding the carbs on and remove the carbs.

Then its just a matter of disassembling them and cleaning and replacing the filters.

The other option is settle for less and have the buyer do the work.

Keep in mind that running it like that WILL hurt it and it won't get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back