96 GSX beeps, no gauges, no crank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

610Mike

1996 GSX with a 787. Rode it a few weeks ago, washed & flushed it, battery on tender and let it sit.

Trying to winterize it now and having this problem:

key to post gives 2 normal chirps
guages do not come on
*temp light stays on constantly - did not notice this when put away
vts will function
can hear the front box cycle off after about 30 seconds
starter will spin if jumped

Battery is new/good
Checked ground/cleaned connections

Kinda stumped as this happened while sitting.

Thanks

Also

Fuses & connections checked and look ok

The temp light goes off when key is connected and turns on (and stays on) when key is disconnected

So..... How many wires do you have connected to the negative battery post on the battery? If you missing putting the smaller black ground on the post... it surely will not even try to start. Give it a look. :) Ask me how I know?? :D

Sounds like the voice of experience. But nope. That wire is there. Also confirmed switch has continuity.

So weird. We rode them, took them home and flushed them, let them sit, and now this one is acting up

1996 GSX with a 787. Rode it a few weeks ago, washed & flushed it, battery on tender and let it sit.

Trying to winterize it now and having this problem:

key to post gives 2 normal chirps
guages do not come on
*temp light stays on constantly - did not notice this when put away
vts will function
can hear the front box cycle off after about 30 seconds
starter will spin if jumped

Battery is new/good
Checked ground/cleaned connections

Kinda stumped as this happened while sitting.

Thanks

Was the battery still connected while on the tender? Maybe disconnect the power from the battery to the ski to see if that resets it.

Yes it was connected. I disconnected the cables from the battery and touched them together - but only had them off for a few minutes. No change. Leaving battery off overnight to see if that makes a difference

Keep the ideas coming please!

Nope. Key on post or not - no response from gauges. (Other than the temp light - which goes off with key on post and stays illuminated otherwise)

Can you hear the holder relay clicking when you insert the key? If it doesn't, the ski won't start. I chased a no start on my GTX for a long time. I may have figured it out but still not sure. LOL Did you unplug the wires coming from the DESS and do the test. Sorry if someone asked this already.

Pull the wire off between the plugs and see if that changes the temp light thing.

Unplug the 2 wire plug going from the rear black e-box to the VTS and see if that does anything for ya.

Can you hear the holder relay clicking when you insert the key? If it doesn't, the ski won't start. I chased a no start on my GTX for a long time. I may have figured it out but still not sure. LOL Did you unplug the wires coming from the DESS and do the test. Sorry if someone asked this already.

I don’t hear it click on... but something does click off 30-40 seconds after key on and 2 chirps

Pull the wire off between the plugs and see if that changes the temp light thing.

Unplug the 2 wire plug going from the rear black e-box to the VTS and see if that does anything for ya.

Temp light couldn’t care less about the temp sensor. Stays on without key and off with key

Likewise for the vts connection

I'm not sure how many people listen for the click but when you troubleshoot time an again you learn the noises. LOL On key insertion, this relay clicks. Then when you press the start button it clicks again. As I sayd, most people don't hear this stuff because the click is unheard because the starter motor engages. :) Open the gray box you can feel it click. Did you check the fuse on this relay?? Holder Relay.jpg

I have a 96 GTX which is electrically similar to the GTX but there is no VTS. The holder relay only provides 12V to the CDI module and should have no effect on the gauges. I had a no spark I just solved due to a faulty holder relay but the engine still cranked and the gauges lit up with or without the key. My guess would be visually check all connections to the MPEM looking for corrosion. Especially check the ground posts in the electrical box where the MPEM sits. If all that looks OK, you can swap MPEMs between your 2 GTXs and see if the problem follows the MPEM

I had similar problems with one of my '97 GSX. I hate to say it, and I hope I'm wrong, but it ended being a bad MPEM. Swapped it with the one out of other GSX and sure enough, it fired right up. MPEM on the '97 is different style than your '96, and much easier to swap out, but I would try the MPEM out of your other ski and see what happens

I'm not sure how many people listen for the click but when you troubleshoot time an again you learn the noises. LOL On key insertion, this relay clicks. Then when you press the start button it clicks again. As I sayd, most people don't hear this stuff because the click is unheard because the starter motor engages. :) Open the gray box you can feel it click. Did you check the fuse on this relay?? View attachment 38391

Could not hear or feel a click on the holder relay.

Guess this will be the first piece to swap out and see if it fixes anything.

Update:

A ground wire on the electrical module on the cover side had rubbed through - looks like it had gotten pinched in the cover. This fixed the temp light and gauge issue.

Still getting 2 beeps and no start.

Confirmed:
Holder relay is good: ohm test and “feel for the click” test
Starter works: can jump the posts and get it to turn
12v (11.98) at connection to starter solenoid (yellow wire with red tracer)
Starter relay good: confirmed with bench test - can feel/hear relay close

The starter solenoid will not close when connected to ski.

What am I missing?? Is the other electronic module - the one with the 15 & 5 amp fuses the MPEM? The ignition wire runs through there... What other things need to happen when the start button is pressed ?

Thanks

Update:

A ground wire on the electrical module on the cover side had rubbed through - looks like it had gotten pinched in the cover. This fixed the temp light and gauge issue.

Still getting 2 beeps and no start.

Confirmed:
Holder relay is good: ohm test and “feel for the click” test
Starter works: can jump the posts and get it to turn
12v (11.98) at connection to starter solenoid (yellow wire with red tracer)
Starter relay good: confirmed with bench test - can feel/hear relay close

The starter solenoid will not close when connected to ski.

What am I missing?? Is the other electronic module - the one with the 15 & 5 amp fuses the MPEM? The ignition wire runs through there... What other things need to happen when the start button is pressed ?

Thanks

If you're getting 12v through the yel/red line to the starter solenoid and it's not jumping the starter lines then the solenoid itself is bad. I had this, mine was rusted internally and wouldn't throw the voltage to the starter. You can take it off the ski and ck it with a meter for continuity. Just jump 12v to the yel/red plug and check the posts on top closing. You should get the click on the solenoid and the beep or not on the meter telling you. No click and beep the solenoid is bad.

Last edited:
If you get a click from the solenoid and it's not spinning over then test the post of the solenoid with the starter wire on it while your holding the button down. If no click then it does not have good ground since your getting the 12v on the yellow/red when hitting the button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back